Brightly colored polishable handle material

Kirinite is remarkably grippy for a shiny material. I'm not a fan of plastic handles as a rule, but I have a customer who only wants kirinite. I have made a bunch of kitchen knives in kirinite and used them myself just to make sure they were safe. Hands wet from water, blood, fat, etc and the knives grip just fine. I have also done micarta on some kitchen knives and they do very well, too. I was quite impressed. The great thing about a synthetic handle on a skinner is that it won't absorb blood or oils from the fat and therefore won't stain.

Kirinite is remarkably grippy for a shiny material. I'm not a fan of plastic handles as a rule, but I have a customer who only wants kirinite. I have made a bunch of kitchen knives in kirinite and used them myself just to make sure they were safe. Hands wet from water, blood, fat, etc and the knives grip just fine. I have also done micarta on some kitchen knives and they do very well, too. I was quite impressed. The great thing about a synthetic handle on a skinner is that it won't absorb blood or oils from the fat and therefore won't stain.

Thanks, John, I just ordered a piece of kirinite to try out. My dad has a skinner made from micarta and it does grip quite nicely. I can't lie though... the more I look at different materials, the more I like wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

same here. once you fall in love with wood it's hard to get excited about synthetic materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a bit of advice if using Corian for knife handles...... don't thin it down too much, and round off all the sharp edges. I've used a great deal of it in the past, but stopped because of thicker handles chipping at any edges that were not well rounded, and with thinner scales (1/4" or less) the scales have a tendency crack or break. The biggest drawback to using Corian as knife handle material is that it has a low tolerance to impact.

That makes sense. It is harder than all get-out to sand. I have been playing with it for various purposes. at 1/8 it has almost no flex and will snap easily. definitely more brittle. I think keeping the larger radius and thicker overall scale "rule" will yield some very cool handles...but still will limit design. It does tolerate heat well where the polyester stuff you need to be more careful with as in grinding pins down with the scale in place (ask me how I know...lol).

Back