Started my first knife.

Mark Barone

I am a newbie so feel free to be critical. I am a counselor right now but I was a butcher many years ago so hence my connection and interest in knives. My tools are limited right now, 1x 30 belt grinder , jig saw, angle grinder basic hand tools and band aids. I am using a respirator and eye protection. I will start taking more pictures. I used a piece of 3/16 carbon steel for this first project. I def need to learn more about steel. I made a pattern and used the blue dye and scribe. I am finding out metal is hard. WHO KNEW! My biggest problem was cutting it out. The angle grinder was to bulky for me so I cut it out with a variable speed jig saw and metal blade, Slow but it worked. I got close to the scribe line and sanded at this point to 80 grit on the 1x30 grinder. It was tough getting in the little concave area. SO here is where I am so far. A mini cleaver. Yes I'm starting small.
IMG_1547.JPG

Welcome to the world of knifemaking! I like the profile mini cleavers are fun to make.
One thing i used to do to speed up cutting out blanks before I got a bandsaw was to drill a series of holes really close to each other all around the profile thin cut connect the dots. Also a hacksaw with a good metal blade is actually pretty fast.

Thanks Justin for welcoming me. Good idea with the holes. I forgot I do also have a drill press. I would like to get a band saw. What do you have or recommend?

Welcome to the pack! Looking good so far.... interesting profile. When you say carbon steel, do you know what type? I ask this because this information will be VERY important for heat treat. I hear ya on the cutting out part. That's by far my least favorite part. I usually stick the piece in a vice and cut in perpendicular with angle grinder. It makes it a little easier for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kwzito,
ill try and find out. A friend gave me a piece . I'll ask him. I have a kiln for glass and I hope I can use that. It goes up to about 1600 degrees. Also when I get to that part, what kind of oil can I use. I don't want anything to explode.

Well I guess I made a rookie mistake. I am now being told it's good to practice on but it's just a piece of welding steel. I'm disappointed because I really liked how it was coming out, but I don't want my first knife to be just a letter opener. At least I have a nice template for my next knife. So I'll try to learn more about steel but could somebody recommend a type I should buy. Can I get anything listed in Texas Knife Supply?

Dont sweat it Im still learn8ng about steel everyday.
The best go to steel for simple heat treat is 1084. I would th8nk tesxas knife supply or any other knife place should have it. New Jersey Steel Baron is where i get mine.
To answer your earlier question I have a cheap Harbor Freight variable speed metal bandsaw. They are loud as crap but it gets the job done. I build a stand and work table for mine. I will get a picture of it in the next day or so and send you.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks I would love to see a picture. I have this idea for a handle but it's a long shot of getting the wood. The Mayflower II is being worked on at Mystic Seaport near me. OBvioulsy it's not the original Mayflower but was built in the 1950's and a beautiful tall ship and piece of history. They are replacing many planks of wood. I am going there today to see if I can grab a small piece to use for my handle. I have a feeling I won't get too far. The whole ship is in a huge tent and not open to the public.
IMG_1550.jpg

Thanks I would love to see a picture. I have this idea for a handle but it's a long shot of getting the wood. The Mayflower II is being worked on at Mystic Seaport near me. OBvioulsy it's not the original Mayflower but was built in the 1950's and a beautiful tall ship and piece of history. They are replacing many planks of wood. I am going there today to see if I can grab a small piece to use for my handle. I have a feeling I won't get too far. The whole ship is in a huge tent and not open to the public.
View attachment 61133

Did you get a piece?

Did you get a piece?

I did but it was in bad shape. There was a pile of really nice colored wood of the ship but too big. I grabbed a small piece but it later turned out to be too rotted. I got nervous to take a big piece without permission but no one was working that day. I could see they were saving it because they were wrapping it up. I have to go back.
Heres a picture of the ship in dry dock now with many planks removed. IMG_1560.JPG

Well I guess I made a rookie mistake. I am now being told it's good to practice on but it's just a piece of welding steel. I'm disappointed because I really liked how it was coming out, but I don't want my first knife to be just a letter opener. At least I have a nice template for my next knife. So I'll try to learn more about steel but could somebody recommend a type I should buy. Can I get anything listed in Texas Knife Supply?

According to what kind of "welding steel" it is, it might still make a serviceable knife and might still harden ok, but you'd just need to find out exactly what kind of steel it is so you could do the heat treat and quench for that type steel.
The best go to steel for simple heat treat is 1084. I would th8nk tesxas knife supply or any other knife place should have it. New Jersey Steel Baron is where i get mine.

I agree with Justin though, 1084 is a great steel to work with. 1084 or 1095 either one actually! 1084 tends to be a little more forgiving in heat treat than 1095 is, so that would be where I would recommend you start. Jantz or NJ Steel Baron is where I normally get mine, but it probably doesn't matter as long as it comes from a reputable source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I ended up ordering 1080 steel bar from Texas knife , along with some pins. I hope you guys stay with me . It may go slow. RIght now I'm just waiting for my order to come in. In the meantime I'm just watching a bunch of videos trying to absorb different techniques.

Here is a picture of my bandsaw from harbor freight rednecked up. I use this thing all the time to cut out knives from steel, micarta, g10 handle material. Saves so much time.
If you get one throw the blade that comes with it in the trash and go to home depot or some place and get some good blades.
e31ffa0e27cf58f5503d058b58b6772b.jpg
fae81167e2b0e02fe6d19424742f2a70.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Welcome to knife making.
The wonderful thing about regular steel is that it is cheap and it makes excellent templates.
I have a drawer full of templates made from regular construction steel. Clamp your template over your carbon steel and scribe the outline.
Good luck!

Back