1084 ht question

Kev

It's quite possible this has been asked 1,000 times, but here goes. 99% of my knives get sent out to ht, but I'd like to start some experimenting on my own. My research suggests 1084 may be one of the "easier" steels to start with. All I have available at the time for this purpose is a torch. I'd like to do a differential heat treat if possible. Too ambitious? Also how long should I hold the steel at optimal temperature for best results? Also what's the best quencant for this purpose?
Thanks

Kev,
1084 is my favorite steel I do all my own heat treating with my home made forge. I don't​ do any soak time. I heat to non magnetic and as soon as it gets brighter (not a change in color that's to hot) I quench. I have done some testing and I think that I'm getting good results. I started with canola oil warmed to 120 degrees. Parks 50 is the oil I use now. It did make a difference in my temper temperature and I did gain some edge holding on the knife. Hope this helps. Someone with more experience will probably have some better advice.

Thank you Ty, you advice is spot on. Kev, you have other better options than a torch, in fact just about any heat source may be a better option. One really good one is simply apply an air source to a container of hardwood charcoal (the lump, not the briquettes). With some fire brick you can enclose the fire and get great atmosphere control and even use it to isolate the edge for heating. Such a set up is cheap, readily available to anyone and infinitely more controllable than a torch. If I had all my heat treating equipment taken away, this is how I would do it and leave my torch in the corner. 1084 has a huge range to successfully harden
from so it would do well with such a set up.

What temp are you using for your temper?

It depends... I don't have anyway of checking Rockwell. So when I start a new bar I make some test knives. I have some 5/32" from Aldo and it likes 400 and 410. The 3/16" from Aldo that was purchased at the same time seems to do better with 400 and 435. Odd numbers I know but it works. All temper times are for 2 hours.

Back