First Knife

opaul

My first knife off of my 2x72 grinder. I've got lots to learn, but I'm retired so that shouldn't be a problem! I'm also learning how to make leather sheaths.
The blade is from an old circular saw, thus the pitting along the spine. I decided to leave that in because I like the look.
I've since built a grinding jig to help with the bevel grinding learning curve.
Looking forward to gaining additional information from the forum members.
Going away knife gift Alec.jpg

Last edited:
Great job! I still haven't made my first, but I'm working on it lol. You will find the best folks on this forum who know a lot. They are also very willing to help. What grinder do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
I purchased the KMG package grinder with the 120v motor and three pulley set up to control the speed. I can't compare it to other grinders of that size but as a novice I'm impressed with the quality and performance.

I've posted several post retirement knives I've made recently on this forum. Here are the last several.Knife Log 1.jpg

I actually do both. I start out with a jig and then transition to hand. I'm tying to transition to doing it all by hand. I'm finding it is easier to do that once I have a bevel established with the jig.
The Kukri was by hand.
I have found out that nothing is better for a assisting in a nice grind line than a fresh belt.

Back