What type of table saw blade to use to cut scales out of raw lumber?

Grizzly Bear

Hello fellow knife dogs!

I need some help. I just bought a table saw and want to cut scales out of Cocobolo and other exotic hardwood lumber.
I use to work with my Dad building things around the house with his table saw but Dad has since passed away and he is the one who had the knowledge of what different blades are the best to use (crosscut vs rip vs regular steel blades vs carbide tipped blades).

Since I will be ripping as well as crosscutting, should I buy a combination blade or one blade for ripping and one blade for crosscut? Since the wood I will be cutting is so hard, should I spend the extra money on a carbide tipped blade?

I will be looking forward to your input.

Thanks,

Grizzly Bear

Changing blades is easy. Rip blades don't leave a very good finish, combination blades, like most compromises, don't do either job well. Better to change blades than deal with a combination blade. Combination blades will make you swear when you're ripping. (Ripping is with the grain, crosscut across the grain.)

To handle crosscutting, build a crosscut sled and add a crosscut blade.

Scale material isn't very big, so you have that going for you. Your crosscut sled doesn't need to be very big at all. Crosscut sleds are easy, I find myself building them each time I need a different angle.

I'd say add a jointer, but scale material doesn't need to start off 4-square. It isn't going to be square, and it needs one flat surface.

Good luck!

For the table saw blade I use the diablo fine finish 60 tooth from home depot, it's an awesome blade. Runs about $40

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I went the other way. My table saw has a 10", 24 tooth, thin kerf, ripping blade. for cross cuts, I use my sliding miter saw with 60 tooth blade. I made a removable zero clearance throat for the table saw so I can rip thin. I recommend carbide tipped blades, just a little more expensive.

Thanks for the info guys. I depended on my daddy's expertise with saws, planers, jointers, drill presses, routers, etc. (all of his equipment were production grade that he bought used from a furniture factory), that I became complacent and would just plug his equipment in and not learn how to properly set them up and their many facets of use (how to get the most out of them). At 65 I still find myself wanting to grab the phone and shop talk with daddy. Daddy died from lung cancer long ago at 77. Daddy always told me even at 77 I would always be his son and he would be my daddy. I took it as a great compliment. I looked upon my daddy as a god from Olympus on high and will forever feel him, my mother and son in my heart. Yes I am a Texan and even 65 year old men still call their fathers daddy. I look forward when it is my time to see daddy, mom and my son Chad in heaven when it is my time to go to heaven.

I haven't been as active on this forum for a long time. My health is failing due to diabetes. I went into stage 5 kidney failure but they were able to get them to work again after 5 days in the hospital (I am now back up to stage 3A), my retina is starting to cup and I have developed glaucoma with the lose of half of my vision in the lower part of my right eye. I am still determined to use my knife shop to make knives. I want to make my brother a beautiful large bowie with gold plating on the guard and pommel an my even inlay the handle with a 1/10 24 caret gold piece. I love my brother very much and want to give him something that he will always remember me by and tell everyone "my brother made me this". This is very ambitious I know but I always strive to make the most impressive knife I can make. I prefer quality over quantity. My wife hate me re-finishing her antiques because I want them to be pretty even though it lowers their value. I like making pretty things using my own hands.

If anyone out there sees a draw back with gold plating stainless steel (I don't even know if you can do it or how long it will last) please let me know. This bowie is a presentation "wall hanger" knife and not intended to be used. I am going to make the blade from 440C, 2.0 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick and very long. I plan on making a full tang with decorative filing and Cocobolo scales. I have blue mammoth scales but I want to make me the same bowie with it to be able to pass down to my grandson. I've never worked with Ivory so wish me luck.

Ambition and hard work keeps the blood flowing! 65 years and older is not for the faint of heart, however a rolling stone gathers no moss.

Thanks for the help knife dogs.

Grizzly Bear

Back