First knife; planning stage

webicons

Hello folks - I just wanted to run a few things by you. As my first knife, I would like to make Skiving/trim knifes. These types of knives are used to thin and trim leather. I am looking for the best balance between an extremely sharp edge, edge retention and ease of HT. I'll be forming the blade by stock removal.

I have access to a small workshop that includes a 220v muffle furnace that has a 4x4x9 cavity, small bench grinder and assorted hand and pneumatic tools, tig/mig welder.

Since I have access to a muffle furnace with fine controls I have decided to work with O1. I believe that the rate of rise plus a controlled temperature of 815c would be achievable to HT. I will quench with hot canola oil.

I am thinking of ordering a piece from onlinemetals.com that is 0.094x1.5x18.

Now here's the question:
1. Does this sound reasonable so far? Choice of steel?
2. Would I benefit in any way to go with a slightly thicker piece of steel? Cutting angle, rigidity?
3. Is there a cheaper/better place to order from?
4. Am I being to ambitious with the O1 and should go with 1084/1095?
5. If it doesn't specifically state it, can I assume that the precision ground O1 is annealed or should I plan on doing that as well?

Your input is very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG 01 is annealed and ready for HT as is. 01 is a good choice of steel, IF, you have heat control good enough to evenly soak it for about 15 /20 minutes. You need to go with a lower temp of about 800 c, or 1475 f. Heat the canola to around 125°/130°. Do expect a layer of decarb on the steel from the heat soak process, or buy some ATP-641 to coat the blade and prevent the decarb. Overall, 1084 would be easier, but stay away from 1095 until you have a little more experience in this. 1095 is no better than 1080/1084 if not heat treated properly, and I doubt you have the necessary means to do it correctly at this time.

I appreciate the input LRB. So here's where I stand after grinding and filing.

723bd06cf49d7eed099bab6d5b20e5fb.jpg

There's a few funky bits that I think would be best fixed after HT.

My issue now is this. The furnace that I have access to is about 20 minutes from my house. From what I have read, the blade should be tempered immediately after quenching. How much time do I have to get it into the temper oven (wife's oven) without it being a problem?

If it really needs to be immediately after quenching then I'll need to bring a toaster oven with me.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done the same thing, I used a buddys oven and heat treated some blades let them cool then drove about 30 min home and poped them in the oven and they were fine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Immediate temper is not a critical issue with 01. I always wait 2 to 3 hours in order to let my oven cool down to the point that I can re-set the controls for temper. I have even let a few blades sit over night, but I would not recommend doing that. If using a kitchen range, be sure you use a separate oven thermometer. It is advantageous, but not necessarily critical, if you have means of covering the blade with dry sand while tempering in a kitchen range. This helps to counter the temp fluctuations in the oven as the thermocouple cycles. I would recommend two one hour tempers at between 375° and 425°, depending on the intended use of the blade.

So things are taking a bit longer than expected. Kids, work, wife, life always seem to get in the way of having a good time.

Anyway, I've learned alot about heat treating. Followed everything I have learned here and online about heat treating O1 but still took three tries before I got it right. The blade just wouldn't take/hold an edge. Turns out my friends oven had a bum thermocoupler something or other. Wasted a lot of time but in the end I am very pleased with the edge (although I lost a lot of blood sharpening it). The blade cuts leather like butter and holds the edge pretty well before having to strop.

All in all it was fun and I developed a keen appreciation for the artists here. I learned a bunch of stuff and I've started on my next knife already; a leather pattern knife. Wood for the handle on its way.

Question: So my tools consist of a chop saw, an old bench grinder, right angle grinder, asst of files, typical hand tools. What do you recommend that I purchase next to make things go easier, quicker, better?

View attachment 61537 Final polish.jpg

looks real good...O-1 is a great steel. I notice it rusts/stains easier than most anything but a wipe with light oil goes a long way. I use it and A2 and like them both. Just finishing up an O-1 skinner right now....

Thanks Ted - I really enjoyed the process and I can see myself getting deeper into this. That's not a good thing cause leather takes up all the time I have left after work and family.

I'm a little hesitant about putting a handle on it. It should be simple enough but I obsess about the details. We will soon see.

How long have you been knifemaking?

Back