Want to build a Forge

Gliden07

I've done some searching and to be honest I'm getting real confused on this! This is what I know I am going to do but have Newb questions. Keep in mind I will be using this for Knives/Blades.

Forge Body:
I am going to build a Forge from a Freon or Helium tank (balloon kits they sell in places like Wal-Mart) as the research I've done seems to say that the Round is a better operating forge. Some of the confusion I'm having is the insulation 1" or 2"?, want to use hard fire brick for the bottom of the forge, do I but Kao-Wool under the bricks? Plan on using a Rigidizer on the Wool and then using ITC-100 or something like it (The ITC is real expensive) do I paint this over the bricks?

Burner:
Want to build my own I have a Venturie design I found on You-Tube that I liked because it need no special machining processes and after reading an article on here about not using a cone on the end of the burner (because they degrade quickly) really appealed to me (it used a small piece of 1/2" black pipe inside the end of the 1" burner tube suspended by 3, 10/24 screws), 4, 1/2" holes and a mig tip on 3/8" black nipple.

Looking for some advise on this subject in general. It just seems the more research I do the more confusing the subject becomes. And You-Tube can sometime be misleading.

Use a freon tank....a helium tank will be too small of a diameter. I don't know where everyone gets recommending 2" of kawool.... 2" is double the cost, uses more time to heat up, and consumes more fuel to maintain the heat then 1" X #8 density ceramic wool. (maybe they are stuck in the "more is better" mindset?) But that's not the case when it comes to ceramic fiber/blanket insulators.

Cut your kawool to a size that will cover the entire interior, roll it inside itself, insert it, and open the "roll" so that the cut ends meet at the bottom of the forge (I'm assuming you are building a horizontal forge)....if it's vertical, butt the ends together on the side opposite where the burner flame will hit the interior.

Burners need to sized properly for the size of the forge body.... generally for the diameter of a freon tank, 1" will work. My advice on burners is to always built them larger then you think you need. The reason being that you can always dial a burner down, but if you build one that has to be maxed out during use, you're stuck (you can't get anymore out of it). A general rule of thumb on the "bell" of a venturi is 3 to 1.....meaning that if your burner tube/pipe is 1", the "bell" that creates the venturi effect should be 3".

Again, assuming you're building a horizontal forge, concerning the fire brick... use "slips" or "half bricks"...these are firebricks that are 1/2 the thickness of a standard firebrick, but otherwise the same dimensions. Seat the frirebrick over the seam in the ceramic fiber/blanket. You may have to cut/break a "slip" to make a full "floor". Coating the entire inside, including the brick will not cause any issues....however, it is a waste of the coating product(s).... the firebricks are there as protection for the ceramic fiber/blanket, and if they are not coated, are easier/simpler to change as needed.

The reason you find so many different options is because there are a lot of "arm chair" experts out there....they build something just to see if they can, and as long as it works "half way", they think it's the right way to do it. Don't believe what you see on You tube! The best thing you can do is track down someone in your area who has some experience, and ask them the questions....chances are you will find what you need without having to sift through mountains of dung.

That's just a quick reply to your questions..... the more specific you can be with future questions, the more specific the answers can be.

Finally....remember that a propane forge is nothing more then a controlled explosion! Have fun, but also be SAFE!

Last edited:
Thank you Ed and Wayne! Yes Ed it will be a Horizontal Forge. I do want it not only to be functional but safe as well! I will be doing more reading and research to make sure I accomplish both! So if I ask some redundant questions please be patient is all I ask. Wayne, I will defiantly check out the page you suggested. Like I said I would rather ask a few dumb questions then hurt myself or worse someone else! Thank you again!

Back