Leveling question

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
So as y'all prob know, I'm running the 4 by 36 harbor freight grinder. I have figured out that if a right angle can't be ground, a beginner will have super trouble with fit and finish. I've heard people say that one can use a machinist square to grind 90's and so on. But how is this possible without bring the square itself. There's no room on the side of the platen which wouldn't work anyway as the belt moves around quota a bit. Is the answer sand paper? If so I'm okay with that, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

files followed by hand sanding

I'm beginning to think that to make a beautiful knife, all you have to do is just take steel and wood and carefully remove small amounts while being very careful not to remove too much.... sorta like an extreme endurance test for your patience and discipline. Of course, there's much more to it than that, but kinda not... lol

I'm beginning to think that to make a beautiful knife, all you have to do is just take steel and wood and carefully remove small amounts while being very careful not to remove too much.... sorta like an extreme endurance test for your patience and discipline. Of course, there's much more to it than that, but kinda not... lol

Edit: excluding HT lol

Yes sir.

get a piece of angle iron, set it on your tool rest or work rest and move it till it touches the platen. adjust either belt or tool rest till you have a good 90.

get a piece of angle iron, set it on your tool rest or work rest and move it till it touches the platen. adjust either belt or tool rest till you have a good 90.

It's funny how the answers are usually so simple. Thanks again for your help. Today I decided however to leave the raggedy POS off and work on something with my hands and my micrometer. The difference is unbelievable. So much so that I think I probably won't use it tomorrow either. I'm so much more precise when I actually think about what I'm doing and measure everything 50 times. The grinder probably hurt me more than it has actually helped.

It's funny how the answers are usually so simple. Thanks again for your help. Today I decided however to leave the raggedy POS off and work on something with my hands and my micrometer. The difference is unbelievable. So much so that I think I probably won't use it tomorrow either. I'm so much more precise when I actually think about what I'm doing and measure everything 50 times. The grinder probably hurt me more than it has actually helped.

Use your grinder to get everything roughed in. Maybe 80% of where you want to be. Then finish by hand.

Back