WIP on a 19 knife group buy

Von Gruff, on the photo,knife number nine from the left; what wood is that? I like it.

All the knives in the rack except the last 2 on the right have 100 year old rimu scales from a couple of boards I rejected for furniture making. This wood is now very difficult to get as they govt/greenies have stopped anyone being able to mill it so there is only the recycled boards and they are quite expensive. I had saved a bit from when I was building and renovating old houses. Rimu is a NZ native and while most of the knives dont show it at this stage they will all have nice colour when wetted with the finish. The rimu handled knives are for friend on a private forum that started this group buy and a few others from elsewhere got in on it as well so the last two knives in the rack have jarah and then maple with jarah bolsters and the ones on the bench have olivewood /ebony, walnut/jarah, cocobolo/ebony and the last one is a stick tank with brass jarah and beech.

Nice work there, and that wood is gorgeous for handles. Is it just me or when you are working on more projects at the same time things happen faster? I mean - you have several knives to bevel, you put them beside your grinder and start. You get the rhythm and make them all at once. Same thing happen with every single procedure there is to make.

All the handles are done now so it is on to the sheaths and they were all cut out today. Should make some progress on them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Have had a couple of day on the leatherwork. After the knifework, the thread groove,makers mark and stamping was done before the top part of the belt loop was glued and sewn on. The welt was then glued in and the belt loop folded over and glued in position ready for sewing tomorrow. Then they can be folded and glued in thier final position before the thread holes are drilled and the main sewing starts.

Sheaths all ready for sewing now with 7 different sizes for standard right handed carry, Johns lefty and a horiznotal carry. There is another horizontal carry cut out but the guy it is for wants a darker sheath to will get the die in a day or two.

There is seven that have been stitched so getting through them slowly.

These are all fantastic As for the videos, I watched your video on hot waxing long ago and I didn't realize it was you. That's pretty neat. Anyway, my wife told me that I couldn't heat the wax on our stove lol... maybe I could use the BBQ grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the sheaths in the oven at about 65degrees C (150F) for 10 minutes and it helps to preheat the leather so it is less likely to leave the wax solid on the surface. After dipping, any surplus more easily wipes off the surface. The wax needs to be just under a simmer or it will set on the surface without penetrating the leather.

I put the sheaths in the oven at about 65degrees C (150F) for 10 minutes and it helps to preheat the leather so it is less likely to leave the wax solid on the surface. After dipping, any surplus more easily wipes off the surface. The wax needs to be just under a simmer or it will set on the surface without penetrating the leather.

Gotcha! Thx!

so this batch of knives is finally done and ready to be sent of the new homes far and near
This is the line-up and while there are a few the same and similarities in them all having rimu scales there are other differences that individualise them

Love love love this one.... but they all look awesome.
1c8bb98ab390d9a71d2f9063756848b5.png

Cocobolo and ebony on that one Kwzito. The majority have rimu scales either with or without bolsters in jarah or ebony but the last bowie there is maple and jarah boner, Jarah hunter skinner. In the next post there is a stick tang with brass and jarrah on a beech handle, then the cocobolo and ebony then walnut and jarah with the last one being olivewood and ebony.

Unfortunately I am not the best photographer and the weak winter sun here does not help to bring out the best in the wood colour or grain

Cocobolo and ebony on that one Kwzito. The majority have rimu scales either with or without bolsters in jarah or ebony but the last bowie there is maple and jarah boner, Jarah hunter skinner. In the next post there is a stick tang with brass and jarrah on a beech handle, then the cocobolo and ebony then walnut and jarah with the last one being olivewood and ebony.

Unfortunately I am not the best photographer and the weak winter sun here does not help to bring out the best in the wood colour or grain

Beautiful none the less!

Back