I WILL completely finish this one!

that looks pretty good!

Thank you very much. Means a lot to me to hear that from you. I respect your opinion very much and without your guidance. I know y'all prob think I'm nuts for making such a big deal out of your (there are others Demo, ty, ... and EVERYONE who has helped thus far) efforts to help this far, but educating people for free is a big deal. Teaching someone how to take his time, listen, plan, be organized ... etc is on another level. Accomplishing these tasks with me, is inconceivable... really you have to trust me here. I'll say life circumstances did NOT provide an opportunity to pick up those skills.... among many others lol. You, demo, and Ty took extra time to guide me right and teach me some very important life skills. I must also give knife making credit here as well, but y'all know what I mean. Great site, great hobby, great people... I'm glad to be but a minuscule part. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For example, I'm willing to bet many of you are waiting to see what I do about a MAJOR issue. lol. I do have one on this knife. I did a very very VERY poor job planning ... but I have known about it for a while and have accepted it. I thiiiiiiiink I may have a fix. Let's see who can spot it. When I say major issue, I mean potential disaster unless I'm SUPER careful ... probably too precise for my tools and abilities.

Thank you very much. Means a lot to me to hear that from you. I respect your opinion very much and without your guidance. I know y'all prob think I'm nuts for making such a big deal out of your (there are others Demo, ty, ... and EVERYONE who has helped thus far) efforts to help this far, but educating people for free is a big deal. Teaching someone how to take his time, listen, plan, be organized ... etc is on another level. Accomplishing these tasks with me, is inconceivable... really you have to trust me here. I'll say life circumstances did NOT provide an opportunity to pick up those skills.... among many others lol. You, demo, and Ty took extra time to guide me right and teach me some very important life skills. I must also give knife making credit here as well, but y'all know what I mean. Great site, great hobby, great people... I'm glad to be but a minuscule part. Thank you.

The new guard looks much better. Your first attempt is coming along nicely. Keep at it. You may have a difficult time getting the pin hole in just the right place on the new guard. Since you have already cut the scales to fit the old guard - you may have difficulty getting them to fit.

I cannot talk for John or Ty, but I like helping the new guys. It is not all that hard to be helpful/nice. Every maker was in your shoes at one point in their journey. If I can gently nudge you in the right direction then hurray! You will find lots of these types of people in your life, if you take the time to look around. I will say, most of those nice people will be knife makers. They are the nicest bunch of people you can ever expect and the group on KD is exceptional in this regard. It is probably why I have stuck around.

Keep at it. Can't wait to see the next progress pictures.

DeMo

The new guard looks much better. Your first attempt is coming along nicely. Keep at it. You may have a difficult time getting the pin hole in just the right place on the new guard. Since you have already cut the scales to fit the old guard - you may have difficulty getting them to fit.

I cannot talk for John or Ty, but I like helping the new guys. It is not all that hard to be helpful/nice. Every maker was in your shoes at one point in their journey. If I can gently nudge you in the right direction then hurray! You will find lots of these types of people in your life, if you take the time to look around. I will say, most of those nice people will be knife makers. They are the nicest bunch of people you can ever expect and the group on KD is exceptional in this regard. It is probably why I have stuck around.

Keep at it. Can't wait to see the next progress pictures.

DeMo

Thanks DeMo! You nailed it!!! That silly pin hole is KILLING me. Eating me alive lol. The good news is that I can file my way out of any jail.... easy. Lol. I bet knife makers have the strongest hands and fingers.

You guys are the best!

628b38721f248c4fafbccd0cfbb02995.jpg

I don't know what to say. This one hurt my soul a bit, but I learned a lot. That's really the point. I'm gonna save the blade ... maybe it'll be a folder one day lol. Anyway... just to let you know.... this thread is just getting warmed up.... I don't quit.

a3fe01329924349655076c4a7d77dde0.jpg

Oh man- that hurts. I've got a stack of them here, too.

You gave it one heck of a valiant effort. But on the next one you need to set yourself up for success. Start with a basic design and make the best, cleanest knife you can. Put everything you've learned into the fit and finish without setting up unnecessary hurdles.

YOU'VE GOT THIS!

d1c7008e17be45ee8bd4d4d9f5d25d6f.jpg

Try something very simple, like this. This was a design I came up with, based on several other knives I'd seen.

d1c7008e17be45ee8bd4d4d9f5d25d6f.jpg

Try something very simple, like this. This was a design I came up with, based on several other knives I'd seen.

John and DeMo, more than anything else in the world I would love to work on a knife that doesn't have a guard lol... but I already had this one laying around. There's no hole in this one yet and the knife is soft. Also I did a wayyyy better job of planning this one. So I guess I've gotta take a swing. I just didn't want y'all to think I was being hard headed and not listening. I do have lots of steel around so if y'all think that I should scrap this one for later, I can certainly cut another out. I really like the knife you posted, John, and plan to make it. Y'all are so right.... fit and finish are the keys. I can assure you that my projects WILL get way easier lol.

This stuff is so much fun. I'm completely nuts about making a knife. Please advise as to the guard/no guard situation. Thank y'all again!!!

757fcade80bdaa7e13547ce79cf671b8.jpg

This stuff is so much fun. I'm completely nuts about making a knife. Please advise as to the guard/no guard situation.

I think John just wants you to be successful on your next attempt. Me too. You gave it a good effort. You will eventually get a knife finished. You were going along fairly well with the last one.

If you want to make one with a guard - then - make one with a guard. Just understand, that the more complicated the knife, the more problems that can be discovered. A more simpler knife should be simpler to finish. In theory at least.

By all means, make the knife that you want to make. Draw your inspiration from within...then let it out. Whatever it is.

DeMo

You know what.... the only thing I have is time. And I'm not afraid to fail. My first one will have a guard! And it won't look too bad.... lol. I've got all the help I need, right, Dogs? Let's get it.

Well...you are super positive. So if you don't mind a few high speed crashes...do the more complex knives...lol. Doing simple knives lets you focus fewer variables giving you a nicer overall result. For many of us making a very clean knife is more encouraging than doing a bunch of different disciplines with so-so results. This stuff can get in your head but if you know you won't get discouraged and quit....Rock N roll!

Well...you are super positive. So if you don't mind a few high speed crashes...do the more complex knives...lol. Doing simple knives lets you focus fewer variables giving you a nicer overall result. For many of us making a very clean knife is more encouraging than doing a bunch of different disciplines with so-so results. This stuff can get in your head but if you know you won't get discouraged and quit....Rock N roll!

Don't get me wrong .... i know I should be doing an easier project for many reasons, and believe me, I wish I could walk away from this guard deal, and more than likely will. I think I need to give it one more go, though, as the knife and guard were just sitting there staring at me.

As far as my positive attitude is concerned, I guess you can say that learning is my goal. So I'm good. But I do agree with everything you said in your post and I will more than likely go in that direction. Nothing motivates one more than positive results... well, besides the unquenchable lust for knowledge.

Edit: plus time don't mean nuthin to a hog

By the way what is the overall quality of the pieces in this pic... is one piece better than the other. I ask because I have no idea what ppl consider desirable
f02c022f8a57a2cd2b73c789d8b70dbd.jpg

You know what.... the only thing I have is time. And I'm not afraid to fail. My first one will have a guard! And it won't look too bad.... lol. I've got all the help I need, right, Dogs? Let's get it.

I hope you stick with it and turn out a nice knife with a guard, I'm curious, I've heard that expression " let's get it", I'm kind of old, what does that refer too?

I hope you stick with it and turn out a nice knife with a guard, I'm curious, I've heard that expression " let's get it", I'm kind of old, what does that refer too?

Lol...
Let's get the job done! At least that's what I meant.... who knows nowadays.

You certainly have a lot of drive, and I believe it takes a lot to make knives. the other thing it takes is patience, be careful not to get ahead of yourself, that makes making mistakes a lot easier.

This stuff is so much fun. I'm completely nuts about making a knife. Please advise as to the guard/no guard situation.

I think John just wants you to be successful on your next attempt. Me too. You gave it a good effort. You will eventually get a knife finished. You were going along fairly well with the last one.

If you want to make one with a guard - then - make one with a guard. Just understand, that the more complicated the knife, the more problems that can be discovered. A more simpler knife should be simpler to finish. In theory at least.

By all means, make the knife that you want to make. Draw your inspiration from within...then let it out. Whatever it is.

DeMo

Yes, that's all I was trying to say. Everyone needs a win now and then to keep the confidence up when things aren't going your way. But certainly- If you're not running out of steam then by all means go for it!

Back