Doubling spacer material???

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Can I double spaced material... the kind you see the pic? My thoughts are to epoxy two pieces to fill this gap. Also what color material would you use? I so don't want to mess this one up like every other one I've ever done. Lol ... what are some options that I have to fill this space besides doubling the card stock? Thanks so much for any and all help.

3836410b2ccb4efc4efa81f421aeb91f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure you can. Doubling or even tripling spacers is something I do all the time. Stacking spacers for a pattern or effect you like is a great way to embellish a knife.

Get creative. Have fun with it.

Thanks John! I think I'm gonna go with the red and black stacked... that's my school colors . What do y'all think of this guard??? It is definitely over my head, but I tried to cheat by using part of the tang/blade. I love to push myself to keep learning new skills... I have a serious addiction lol!

I keep trying to make one that I can give my dad, but he used to own two knife stores and is tight with bob dozier so everything I make is a total POS and they tell me that to my face lol. It is cool tho that Mr Bob gave me my first hunting knife... I still use it today. So for me to make one that dad actually uses, is gonna be tough.... good thing I love to practice.
27d6b384bdb428d1a91567d8cfc8f551.png

Sure you can. Doubling or even tripling spacers is something I do all the time. Stacking spacers for a pattern or effect you like is a great way to embellish a knife.

Get creative. Have fun with it.

Last edited:
Look what I just did... should I just toss it?? So mad and frustrated. Is there a solution to this? Also, am I posting in the right place? I feel like I'm spamming the forum with junk. If another forum is appropriate l, please advise.

8f8eec13a3f1becc724839134982ac2f.png

Kwzito, sometimes you have to cut your losses and chalk it up to a learning experience. I think you're at that point on this knife.

Let's back up and take a breath here.

1. The blade is not finished. It's not ready for a handle. Spend as long as it takes to make a finished blade with no obvious flaws.

2. the guard and the handle has to be thought out ahead of time. They need to be designed for each other. Trying to make them independently and then somehow fit them together and make it look right is an invitation to disaster. It's also way too much work.

3. fit and finish sells knives. the most basic, simplest design done well looks 100 times better than a super ambitious design with gaps and scratches.

Great advise John.

Kwzito...I would say by what I see that you have an "eye" for design. So you will be doing fine work eventually. Be patient and don't rush. I got discouraged early on and shelved knife making for 15yrs after my first. Sure wish I hadn't done that....lol.

Kwzito, sometimes you have to cut your losses and chalk it up to a learning experience. I think you're at that point on this knife.

Let's back up and take a breath here.

1. The blade is not finished. It's not ready for a handle. Spend as long as it takes to make a finished blade with no obvious flaws.

2. the guard and the handle has to be thought out ahead of time. They need to be designed for each other. Trying to make them independently and then somehow fit them together and make it look right is an invitation to disaster. It's also way too much work.

3. fit and finish sells knives. the most basic, simplest design done well looks 100 times better than a super ambitious design with gaps and scratches.

Good advice from both... I can't figure out how to double quote from my phone. I'm having so much fun doing this! I love the way the knife was supposed to look so much that I wanted to push it. I do learn a tremendous amount every time I botch one so I guess I'm making progress. Lol thanks again guys

Great advise John.

Kwzito...I would say by what I see that you have an "eye" for design. So you will be doing fine work eventually. Be patient and don't rush. I got discouraged early on and shelved knife making for 15yrs after my first. Sure wish I hadn't done that....lol.

Thank you very much as well

Ok so it's trashed .... should I start a new WIP thread ... also should I try an easier style knife? I love the way these styles look, I also thought they looked pretty simple to make. I believe the curves are eating me up though

i think you need to try the same design again. That way you get to capitalize on what you learned before you forget the hurdles you got over. This time don't rush it and don't force it.

i think you need to try the same design again. That way you get to capitalize on what you learned before you forget the hurdles you got over. This time don't rush it and don't force it.

I'm on it. that sounds like a good plan... should I skip the guard for now? I ordered a pre made guard today with a 1/8 slot. I can always save it for later. Either way, I'll completely finish blade first for sure.

do the guard. but completely finish the blade this time before worrying about the guard. none of it matters if the blade isn't finished correctly.

think about your design and how the guard and handle all have to come together. tweak the design on paper to make it all fit together just right before you begin making anything.

Back