Diving in!

D.Tschida

Decided to try my hand at some blade making. I've ordered and received all my basic supplies that I didn't already have. I will be doing everything with pretty much hand tools to start. Also have all my other supplies needed I believe. I'll be making my first blade from 01 steel and have brass pins and micarta for the handle. Last night i started putting together my basic forge that I will use to do the heat treating, not the prettiest thing but I think it turned out alright (hasn't been tested so we will see:les:)

Forge1.jpgforge2.jpgforge3.jpg

Dude... you have no idea what you've started!!! Life as you know it is done lol... welcome to the lifestyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I believe you are correct sir! It is a lot of fun, I've got my first one almost ready to heat treat over the weekend. I'm sure there is plenty wrong with it and boy is it a pain in the a$$ hand filing everything, but I welcome any guidance! I'm actually just surprised it came out looking like a knife, I thought the first one would be getting tossed into the woods for sure!

first.jpg

Haha I believe you are correct sir! It is a lot of fun, I've got my first one almost ready to heat treat over the weekend. I'm sure there is plenty wrong with it and boy is it a pain in the a$$ hand filing everything, but I welcome any guidance! I'm actually just surprised it came out looking like a knife, I thought the first one would be getting tossed into the woods for sure!

View attachment 61054

That's beautiful! Hand filing is tough, but every time I have ever screwed one up... which is basically every one thus far ... I regretted not using files more. So much easier to control. Keep us updated through the HT process. Awesome so far!!!

That looks real nice!

Remember to mail your wife a "hello honey" card from your shop occasionally....lol.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas! It is certainly a learning curve. And its funny you should say that Smallshop, I already had to tell her I was making this one for her HAHA, I think I'm gonna run out of excuses pretty quick! Here's a picture from last nights progress. Etched, hardened and tempered. Now if anyone's got some good tips on shaping micarta scales without burning them up, basic hand tools and grinder/sanders at my disposal, no belt grinder.
HT.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement fellas! It is certainly a learning curve. And its funny you should say that Smallshop, I already had to tell her I was making this one for her HAHA, I think I'm gonna run out of excuses pretty quick! Here's a picture from last nights progress. Etched, hardened and tempered. Now if anyone's got some good tips on shaping micarta scales without burning them up, basic hand tools and grinder/sanders at my disposal, no belt grinder.
View attachment 61055

Awesome! Can't wait to see further progress

The best advice I ever got regarding finishing the handle is to always use fresh, sharp sandpaper. You handles will look soooooo much better.
Where abouts in MN are you from?

The best advice I ever got regarding finishing the handle is to always use fresh, sharp sandpaper. You handles will look soooooo much better.
Where abouts in MN are you from?

Sounds good, I've got plenty of that. Probably just cut it out with the hack saw and go nice a slow. Probably should have gone with wood for the first one, seems more forgiving.
I live about an hour north of the cities, lindstrom/center city area.

Looking good! Keep at it, I made my first 3 knives with nothing but files. Micarta is not to bad to work with it files pretty good. Knock the edges off with files and back some 60-120 grit sand paper with duct tape, cut it in 1" strips or so and clamp the blade in the vise(wrapped in leather) then shoe shine the spine to get a nice rounding to it.

Looking good! Keep at it, I made my first 3 knives with nothing but files. Micarta is not to bad to work with it files pretty good. Knock the edges off with files and back some 60-120 grit sand paper with duct tape, cut it in 1" strips or so and clamp the blade in the vise(wrapped in leather) then shoe shine the spine to get a nice rounding to it.

Thanks Justin, and I appreciate the tips I will be giving it a try this evening to finish the knife off. Do you not recommend going above a 120 grit on the micarta so there is some roughness left for grip?? I wasn't expecting it to be so smooth and shiny when I received them. Also browsed your instagram page you have listed there, some awesome looking work!

Back