How to tighten this nut on a tang

VP_

I am cleaning up this old Bowie I got from my grandpa and need to know how to tighten this nut down.

I can get it a bit past the end of the tang but it is still a bit loose.

Is there a tool I need? Replacement part and then sand down?

34d41212619d011a664438446a52fbc1.jpg

d445900e908aef030bde7c5cf8edc113.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those handles typically have leather spacers. As they dried out the pommel gets a little loose. You can cut a notch in the screwdriver blade to get the nut down past the tang. If there aren't enough threads, take the handle apart and redo the spacers.

Those handles typically have leather spacers. As they dried out the pommel gets a little loose. You can cut a notch in the screwdriver blade to get the nut down past the tang. If there aren't enough threads, take the handle apart and redo the spacers.

That's what i ended up doing after reading this.

My issue now, and maybe new spacers will help, is that when I tighten the nut, the material on the handle shifts off center.

Should I epoxy as well to get everything straight and tight? Or just keep trying until I am successful

Thanks

yep. those washers want to slide all over. epoxy is the answer, and this is one place where JB Weld shines. There are too many moving parts to use a 5 minute epoxy. You need time to align, tighten, align, tighten, etc. Once it's all tight and aligned just right you can wipe off the squeeze-out without disturbing it all because it will be tight.

I say JB Weld because I assume you don't have Acraglass or GFlex or any such epoxy handy. One job isn't worth spending $50 for it. JB Weld is good stuff for things like this.

I say JB Weld because I assume you don't have Acraglass or GFlex or any such epoxy handy. One job isn't worth spending $50 for it. JB Weld is good stuff for things like this.

Ok awesome. I am in need of more west systems three epoxy so I may wait until I get some this week.

I will have to try this. The stag is drilled out too much as well, so this will help with that also

Thanks for the tips

VP

Back