Funny little problem

wmhammond

I've made a couple of kitchen knives for a lady here in my neighborhood and she asked me to make her a magnetic knife hanger. I said OK, but I didn't like the idea of those magnets scratching up my blades so I paddle drilled for a row of 1" neodymium magnets to rest under a really thin piece of the curly maple that I made the thing out of. I tested this arrangement on every knife I could find and while the magnetism was weakened a little bit behind the wood it held solid every knife I tested it with. Took it over and hung it for her and hung up my two knives - Perfect. Well she pulls out a SS serrated bread knife. Thick, 5/32" =/-, a foot long, big ol' heavy plastic handle and only about 3/4" wide. Damn thing sticks but ever so slooooooowly slides down and off. Obviously, I don't want to rebuild it so does any one have a suggestion? Thanks guys,

Wallace

IMG_3653.jpgIMG_3652.jpg

You could try a couple of things:
Get stronger magnets. Neodymium magnets are made in different grades/strengths. I don't remember the exact scale offhand, but there's a chance you could find a stronger neodymium magnet that's the same size. You might also try a longer or thicker magnet, or boring the pocket a little deeper so that there's not as much wood between the magnet and the blade.

Or... I'm assuming the magnets are holding the blades point up, handle down? Just flip the knife over so that the handle stops it from sliding down and off.

I've made a few magnetic knife racks, and if you are going to hide the magnets behind the wood, you need a strong magnet. Neo's come in 42 and 52 grade generally. Check out K&J magnets, They have every size you could ever want, and they list the pulling power for each.

Back