Is late lock up a concern?

colin.p

[FONT=&quot]I have researched this for awhile and found answers both yes and no, but would like to get your opinion on this topic.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have an Ontario Rat 2 that I bought from an online retailer (biggest in the world?) back in March of this year. Of course, our dollar is rather pathetic compared to the U.S. dollar, so this "budget" knife is not as "budget" up here in Canada.The knife is just fine and easily meets my expectations as to fit and finish, while the blade deployment is very quick and easy. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now, after “playing” with it for a few weeks I see that the liner lock-bar has migrated over quite close to the other liner when the blade is opened, probably a half a millimeter or so from the right hand liner, 80-90% lock-up maybe? The blade does lock up securely and there is absolutely no side to side or up and down movement and is easy for me to release the lock, as in no lock stick, so it is working fine. However, I am new to this “newfangled” tech of liner locks and frame locks and after reading/watching reviews and what not online essentially telling me that anything over 50% lock up means that the lock life expectancy is greatly reduced and should be sent back to the manufacturer. That of course could be a problem, as I would have to ship it to the States and then have them send it back to me in Canada and I know that the CBSA would be licking their chops at that prospect.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I would like to be “assured” somewhat that the liner lock will last for a long time as it is (truthfully I really don’t use a knife all that much and I have several anyways) and tell me to stop reading/watching people telling me about the pitfalls of late lock up or is this something that would need to be addressed before the year warranty runs out?

Thanks
Colin[/FONT]

Back