Handles & Guards Class July 15th/16th with John Doyle

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
On July 15th & 16th 2017, in Ozark, Missouri....I will be teaching a handles and guards class. It will be held at the shop of Tom McGinnis of Ozark Knifemakers.

The cost to attend is $400 per student. The class will be limited to 12 students. A non refundable deposit of $200 will be required to secure your place in the class. The remaining balance is to be paid upon arrival.

This is NOT a beginner's class and you will need to bring a hardened/finished hidden tang blade that is ready to fit a guard and handle.

You will be learning my techniques for guard and handle layout and design, fitting a guard, shaping a guard, drilling out and fitting a handle block and shaping/finishing the handle among other things.

Additionally, as time permits, you may bring a second blade that is rough ground and ready for heat treating but is NOT hardened, of W2, 1075 or 1095 steel and we will go over clay quenching, etching and polishing techniques for producing hamon.

Tom's shop at Ozark Knifemakers is a very well equipped, well-lit large shop with plenty of space and individual work stations and conference room.

Feel free to use this thread for questions and I'll keep tabs on it and keep it updated as the event approaches.

To sign up, you may contact Pat Byrd with Ozark Knifemakers. She can be reached by email or by phone.
Email: patbyrd AT suddenlink DOT net

Phone: 1-417-300-2967

My email for questions is jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com

Here is a link to the class on the Ozark Knifemakers website:
http://www.ozarkknifemakers.com/app...0603&next=/showAgenda?calID=5816814&pageNum=1

Pat is working to update the page with info and some photos this week.

Last edited:
I wish I could make it to this John. We are doing a family vacation the week of the 4th and that is going to drain the funds. Family first. I hope you have a good time and a full class.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hey John, are there any spots left for this class? If so I'd be interested. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Hey John, are there any spots left for this class? If so I'd be interested. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Hi Jeremy...sorry I just saw this. Yes there are still a few spots left for this class but it is starting to fill up. It should be a really good time. Lunch is also provided both days.

If you have any questions you can email me directly at jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com. Look me up at blade too if you end up going.

Back