Bump: Major Maddalena, USAF Commemorative Fighter

Caleb Royer

Specs:
Date: Mar, 3, 2017
Name: Major Maddalena, USAF Commemorative Fighter
Blade: 1084 & 15N20 fine mosaic damascus.
Handle: Sambar stag scales, amber dyed.
Guard/Pommel: Single guard w/ bolsters, framed tang, 416 SS.
Blade length: 8 1/4”
Overall length: 13 1/4”
Sheath: Custom tooled leather w/ elephant chevrons. Rear carry sheath by Claude Scott.
Engraving: Relief engraving & bullion by Brian D. Bump, Keizer, OR.
Other: Commissioned for William F. Maddalena, USAF, 31 years.

The rest of the text below is taken from Brian D. Bump on Facebook.

“Celebrating a 31 year career in the USAF, this commemorative fighter was made for long time friend, Major William F. Maddalena. Bill served seven tours over two wars, including Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom with many years as a nurse on a Critical Care Air Transport Team rescuing soldiers on the ground. Bruce and I were honored when he and his wife, Liz commissioned us to make a knife embodying some of the spirit of his military career. A long time coming, I hope Bill and his family can enjoy this piece for generations to come.
Bill & Liz Maddalena - Patrons
Bruce Bump MS - Knife maker
Brian Bump - Engraving
Claude Scott - Leather work
Caleb Royer - Image

170418_Bruce_Bump_007.jpg

Bulino, Critical Care Air Transport Team, USAF.

170418_Bruce_Bump_007-2.jpg

Bulino eagle, VII tours Operation Iraqi Freedom & Operation Enduring Freedom.

170418_Bruce_Bump_007-3.jpg

Amber dyed stag and framed pommel.

170418_Bruce_Bump_007-5.jpg

XXXI yrs!

170418_Bruce_Bump_007-4.jpg

This was a fun and epic piece for me. It started with Bill, Liz and I scribbling knife designs in a huge sketchbook on my living room floor. Bruce refined our work and made his usual masterpiece, a beautiful canvas of steel to work out our designs. I really appreciate everyone involved and your patience as I had to learn bulino for this piece. Bill waited well over a year for it to flush out complete. Very grateful and loved working with all involved.”

Last edited:
That will be a family heirloom for many generations. Very well thought out. Really like the engraving! Good job guys.

Would love to see a pic of the sheath...

That will be a family heirloom for many generations. Very well thought out. Really like the engraving! Good job guys.

Would love to see a pic of the sheath...
Thanks Ted,
Our oldest son Brian Bump engraved this one. He has only been engraving for less than 2 years. Much of what you see is his "first" ever like the bulino engraving of the mountain lion and the eagle.

Caleb Royer shot these close ups at 120 megapixels to bring out the details

I always look at your knives and imagine someone watching Antiques Roadshow 200 years from now.

random soccer mom in crocheted vest: "We discovered this knife that belonged to my great great grandfather. We don't know anything about it."

bespoke, spectacled gentleman in white gloves: "Madame, we can confirm that what you have here is the third, previously unknown to us, example of a Bruce Bump masterpiece to be held in private hands. The others are well documented and held by rather prestigious estates while all others are behind glass and under guard, displayed at national museums."

Then my great great great grandson flips the channel to Pawn Stars where a guy walks in with a John Wilson knife and a Pal bubble gum wrapper.

"Eh. Look. I'll give you $50 for the wrapper because it's collectible. The knife is gonna sit around until somebody who collects old screwdrivers and prison shanks comes along, and frankly I'm not sure I want to give up the space."

Thank you Major William F. Maddalena for your service to this country. That is a great way to kick-off your retirement.

Nice job, Bruce!

Back