Forged in Fire Season 4

Stormcrow

New season starts this week.

And on the 18th:

33122711444_9662e20b42_b.jpg

Tomorrow night! (Tuesday, April 18, 8:00 CST)

Here's the episode description:

"For the first time ever, the competitors are challenged with creating not one, but two blades in the first round. With double the pressure and double the work, the bladesmiths are pushed to their limits, which leads to another first–a hospital trip. After a grueling second round, the two remaining smiths have just five days to create an iconic 15th century combat sword–the Katzbalger. Which bladesmith has what it takes to burn through the obstacles in their way and become the next Forged in Fire champion?"

Last edited:
Watched episode this morning - James, you did GOOD!!! I liked your sword - you did good. I was impressed with your forging in the first half.

Ken H>

I liked your snack during the forging - keeps a person balanced with a short break. BTW, are ya'll allowed to have a ruler during forging to double check blade length?

Oh, I hope the guy that the medic took out was ok.... heat stroke? The chest pressure concerned me.

Again - CONGRATS!!!

Ken - Yes, we have steel rulers on the tool table next to the anvil. I marked out my required dimensions on the anvil with soapstone and gave myself plenty of wiggle room. That could have been the watch phrase for the episode, because I was constantly keeping an eye on wiggle room with dimensions and time.

Jesse is ok. It wasn't just heat exhaustion that got him, it was a pre-existing heart condition he didn't know about, with the heat, stress, and lack of sleep triggering it. It's a good thing he stopped and sat down when he did!

With the #snackbreak, I was multi-tasking. I needed the steel to cool down so I could grind on it, but didn't want to cool it too quickly and crack it. So I let the knives sit on a fire brick and took the time to recharge with some food and water. I needed it! Four hours of forging takes a lot of energy.

James, you're right on the snack and recharging. While the judges were commenting about you wasting time snacking, I was thinking "smart move". The heat with those forges turned toward each other has to be HOT!!! Glad to hear Jesse is OK, my first thought was just heat, but when he says chest pressure I got VERY concerned. Lots of history with cardiac issues.

I had often wondered if you could have a ruler to keep check on lengths as often as folks miss specs. I KNOW it's easy to miss things under the pressure ya'll have.

GREAT job to all contestants -

Ken H>

This is seriously the best part of the episode. I laugh to the point of tears every time. I had forgotten I did this until I saw it on international television. :D

33338340233_03df905ae7_c.jpg

What got left out was after I took a bite of watermelon and said this, I followed up with, "...and sharpening oil."

33306897234_98452d8a69_c.jpg

I turned on the History Ch last night and guess what was on. Good work James. I was shocked the other guys blade would not cut that heavy bag. Did you get to keep yours?

Thank you! I answer your question in the video below.

This is the last of my FiF stuff. It's dominated my week, but now I need to get back to working on Blade Show inventory.

A washed-out look at the push knives I did for the first challenge. They can actually be seen better in the reflections.

33376879763_a0a4072c2d_c.jpg

The katzbalger in its hideous glory:

33786898000_42ce3e27df_c.jpg

My second take on the guard. Didn't like how the first one fit, so abandoned it before I finished out the quillions.

33786901840_5b08d7fe43_c.jpg

And my second take on the handle since I ground through the side into the channel for the tang on the last day. So many things had to be done several times on this that I named it "der doppleschwert". The pommel was forged from a piece of pipe with the end cap oxy/acetylene welded on. The TeroTuf of the handle fits down into the pommel and the flared tube rivet goes through pommel, TeroTuf, and tang.

34171484295_fdcd5b973d_c.jpg

And finally, a YouTube video featuring myself and fellow FiF champion Tobin Nieto (season 2, episode 8, Cutlass) reflecting on the show, our experiences with it, and answering common questions and criticisms. It's as long as an episode of FiF, but I think it's both entertaining and informative.

[video=youtube;m3Cd2KyIBck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Cd2KyIBck[/video]

Back