Nielsen Disc grinder system

C Craft beat me to it with the price link. For some reason, there appears to be a couple of different Nielsen Disc Grinder websites, and depending on which search engine I use, it takes me to either one with prices, and the one without.

I was leaning very heavily towards getting one of these systems myself for a while, but ultimately I decided to just build my own version and save a few bucks. I just turned down an 8" aluminum round into a disc hub, milled a handful of pockets for some neodymium magnets, and then just bought some 9" steel round plate for the interchangeable hubs. These cost me about $7 or $8 each, and just just have to ream a 7/8" hole in the middle to center it on my hub (I left the motor shaft exposed/extended by about 1/8" or so), turn it down on my lathe to about 8 7/8" diameter, and then I use feathering adhesive to put the paper on. I have a couple of discs with 70 duro rubber on them for a backer that work really nicely, and then one that's just the steel disc.

The disc grinder is definitely a game changer when it comes to speeding up the finishing process. I wish I'd learned about it years ago.

BTW... although I'm very happy with how my home made disc grinder turned out, I would recommend just buying one from Nielsen if you have the funds.

John,
I do the small, thin folder blades from start to finish on the disk. Bigger folders and fixed blades I start on the 14"wheel then finish up on the disk.

thanks for the reply. I had read posts from someone else who only uses a disc. I tried it once and botched it up pretty good.

I was reluctant to try a disk grinder but now I love it. I have so much more control over my grinding . I dont use the Neilson disk system because i dont see a need for it.

I see the disks are magnetic, do any of you users have a problem with the magnetism holding your grinding swarf to the disk while grinding?

I dont use the Neilson disk system because i dont see a need for it.
Calvin, I was beginning to think it was just me. Can someone tell me the advantage of the Neilson system? If I can just change the paper out on one disk in a matter of seconds, why do I need multiple discs.? What do you use to attach the paper to a Neilson disc.? Surely you're not using PSA discs at 3-4 bucks each and if your using feathering adhesive, I really don't see the need for multiple discs as your just adding another step to the process.

I see the disks are magnetic, do any of you users have a problem with the magnetism holding your grinding swarf to the disk while grinding?

I don't have the Nielsen system, but I did make a magnetic hub and swarf on the paper is not a problem for me. You can get an occasional small amount on the hub when you remove the disc, but it wipes off easily.

Calvin, I was beginning to think it was just me. Can someone tell me the advantage of the Neilson system? If I can just change the paper out on one disk in a matter of seconds, why do I need multiple discs.? What do you use to attach the paper to a Neilson disc.? Surely you're not using PSA discs at 3-4 bucks each and if your using feathering adhesive, I really don't see the need for multiple discs as your just adding another step to the process.

Personally, I think the hub and disc system is only beneficial if you're changing paper before a grit is used up. Not that it's impossible to re-apply a cut disc and get it centered on the disc, but I find it a little little quicker and easier to just swap steel discs, rather than peel off a good sheet of paper (which almost always curls up like a potato chip) and then try to set it somewhere out of the way where the back won't get full of dust and whatnot.

Not at all. The disc plates stick to the hub with a ton of force, but there is almost zero magnetism on the face of the plates... like no attraction between knife steel and the plate at all. I think it has something to do with the layout of the poles and spacing of the magnets being engineered such that the lines of flux run almost completely within the plates and do not extend past the surface.

Erin

So magnetism is not a problem, that's good.
I rarely change paper before it is used up but when I do I don't have a problem gettig it back on the disk properly. I use a 3M spray adhesive but i cant remember the number right now.

How hard/much time is it to change a disc on a regular grinder? Say I wanted a flat disc for most work, but a beveled disc for longer kitchen blades. Can I switch them out without too much difficulty or are they more permanent and I would need another grinder?

How hard/much time is it to change a disc on a regular grinder? Say I wanted a flat disc for most work, but a beveled disc for longer kitchen blades. Can I switch them out without too much difficulty or are they more permanent and I would need another grinder?

I suppose I overlooked that part of the system, as I really only use one type of disc at the moment, as do probably most makers I've read or talked to, but if you do plan on swapping to different types of discs, the Nielsen system is definitely gonna be faster. That said, if you have a clean motor shaft, installing and removing a disc should be little more than loosening a set screw and pulling it off.

Back