Nielsen Disc grinder system

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
For those of you who own/use a disc grinder(s), this is the absolute slickest retro fit you can do! Rod Nielsen makes/markets these.... I don't get anything out of it, other then to share a good thing. I have this setup on each of my disc grinders, along with a number of the interchangable face plates. Most of the face plates I have are 1 degree tapered, and work like a dream for blade grinding. I keep different grits of paper on each face plate, and just change out grits as I progress. I can't offer any details beyond the fact that I just love them. Here's a link to a facebook post I shared.... you can contact Rod through his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...503.1073741830.100014044655865&type=3&theater

i've been looking at these for quite some time. I have a love/hate relationship with my disc grinder. I use the 1 degree plate from KMG. For steel, using a rubber backer really helps get a smooth finish. On wood it becomes too agressive so I grind scales without the backer. When I say a love/hate relationship, the challenge for me has been that I can't get my abrasive paper to last very long. I use a rubber belt cleaner, which helps.

I suppose I've never gotten 100% proficient with mine but I honestly don't know exactly what to do with it. I have used it primarily to flatten scales after re-sawing and to remove mill scale / scratches in my blanks before heat treat. I go through periods where I use it quite a bit and then I get unhappy with it and it just sits for a few months. I'd really like to get more out of it.

If you use a water drip on it as it rotates or even a spray every so often you will get better cutting action and considerably extend the life of the sandpaper.
Frank

very true, Frank. I began spritzing it with WD40 and it really does help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love to get dirty. Well everyone says I must want to, the way I can get covered when no one else does. I will try the WD-40 BUT the water does do a pretty good job.
Frank

a little spritz goes a long way. It gets your fingers messy as you grind, but it doesn't sling all over the place.

Does the WD-40 thing work for belt grinders as well? I've got a disc grinder and I'm seriously considering the Neilson retro-fit. The angle plates seem like they would be extremely nice, along with having the ability to change grits without wasting paper.

i've never tried it on the belt before and honestly never felt the need. belts are so easy to clean with the rubber stick belt cleaner. the only time i use anything on a belt is when sharpening. i'll spritz the belt with water.

the thing to remember is that a 72in long belt doesn't load up nearly as fast as a piece of sandpaper spinning around a center point, and disc grinders make a lot of heat fast.

i don't have one, but the Neilson system looks like a no-brainer if you have the money. I have a single disc and there are times that I get frustrated with it, causing me not to want to use it.

I believe it was Ed who talked me into purchasing this system about five years ago. The cost was substantial... but to me, it was well worth it. Learning how to use a disc well (for me anyway) represented significant evolutionary advancement in my processes. Unlike Ed, however, I much prefer the flat discs. I find that my 1-deg disc primarily gets used as a template for cutting sandpaper discs. ;)
Erin

I've heard that same thing from a few others....liking the flat discs better. I do admit that there are some applications where I prefer the flat discs, but those 1 degree discs really shine when it comes to longer blades. :)

i've been looking at these for quite some time. I have a love/hate relationship with my disc grinder. I use the 1 degree plate from KMG. For steel, using a rubber backer really helps get a smooth finish. On wood it becomes too agressive so I grind scales without the backer. When I say a love/hate relationship, the challenge for me has been that I can't get my abrasive paper to last very long. I use a rubber belt cleaner, which helps.

I suppose I've never gotten 100% proficient with mine but I honestly don't know exactly what to do with it. I have used it primarily to flatten scales after re-sawing and to remove mill scale / scratches in my blanks before heat treat. I go through periods where I use it quite a bit and then I get unhappy with it and it just sits for a few months. I'd really like to get more out of it.
are you variable speed? for me, lower speed means longer disc life and easier handling. I usually run my disc grinder at 375 to 550 rpm. the Nielsen system sounds good, don't know why he doesn't post prices. I use 6" and 8" lapidary polishing heads. the Rock Shop in South Dakota has a similar system http://www.therockshed.com/equipment20.html

Hey Scott- yes I do run a VFD, and typically at pretty low speed as you mentioned.

When I first saw the Nielson system I thought it was pretty cool, but once I got pricing I knew it would not be in my future. In searching for an alternative system of switching grits, I found 3M's feathering disc adhesive that makes multiple discs unnecessary as you can just switch out the paper anytime you like using just one disk. Here is a video showing a switch.

[video=youtube;H0Vz9-MoyTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Vz9-MoyTU[/video]

Awhile back Rod offered a group buy with a big DISCount (see what I did there?). I was considering asking him if he would be willing to do another. I have a KMG disc with 1° and I love it, although it takes a learning curve. I spritz the disc with windex and I have one of Ken Coats liners on it. I'm kind of stuck between getting the Neilsen set-up, or just getting another dedicated flat disc. I would be about the same price.

Awhile back Rod offered a group buy with a big DISCount (see what I did there?). I was considering asking him if he would be willing to do another. I have a KMG disc with 1° and I love it, although it takes a learning curve. I spritz the disc with windex and I have one of Ken Coats liners on it. I'm kind of stuck between getting the Neilsen set-up, or just getting another dedicated flat disc. I would be about the same price.
About the same price? I paid $89 for my Beaumont Metal Works disc and was quoted $370 shipped for a Nielson hub and one disc. Not quite the same in my wallet.

About the same price? I paid $89 for my Beaumont Metal Works disc and was quoted $370 shipped for a Nielson hub and one disc. Not quite the same in my wallet.

And $240 for a VFD and another $210 for the motor comes to a grand total of $539, so yes the Nielsen would be cheaper, but I wouldn't have two dedicated machines, which may be nice.

Back