First Knife From Start to Finish on My Grinder

Jellis11

Hey guys, I really dug in this weekend and wanted to FINISH a knife....so, after several attempts to grind a larger knife (which seemed like a good idea at the time) I decided that I need to set the bar a little lower and start with a smaller blade. This was made from an OLD file we dug out of my wife's grandmother's barn. I annealed it and it tested good. Ground out the basic shape, then ground the bevels, heat treated, tempered and (mostly) finish sanded. Fitted with black G10 and burnt orange spacer. I know its not perfect, and I still have a little bit of cleaning up to do, but its my first and I am pretty dang proud....any comments, questions, advice or criticism are very welcome.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking!!
Jeff

IMG_2279.JPGIMG_2277.JPGIMG_2278.JPG

Jeff,
I think you did pretty durn good! Lines are nice and crisp. Plunge lines seems fine. I like the shape of the knife.
Now go and test it and tell us how it performs...:35:

Thanks John and Johan! Maybe a few more like this then I need to figure out how to get a nice straight "stopped" bevel (?-unsure of the correct terminology) I seem to do pretty good on the right side but get all kinds of crazy when doing the left side...just need to find my groove, but pleased nonetheless so far.

It takes a while to teach you off hand to grind. It doesn't have the fine motor control your dominant hand does.
I started out doing the off hand bevel first, get the hard part over with. After a while my hands became equal for the most part.
Just keep practicing and challenging your self, you'll get there!
Your grinding looks good already!

All that practice paid off. That's a very good looking knife.
I'm no expert but I will echo what's been said about grinding the side with your off hand first. It made all the difference in the world for me.

You'll notice a huge difference if you grind with your offhand first. I thought of it like throwing a ball. I'm not real good with my left, but it can be done, and it's WAY easier to copy the results I got with my left arm, with my right arm. Copying my right with my left is not even an option. Eventually though if you get in enough reps with your left the results will be more and more alike.

Back