First hidden tang, and antler handle.

Kev

This was my first attempt at a hidden tang and also my first experience with antler as a handle material. I learned a few things and all in all I thought it turned out ok. I know what I can do better next time and already have my next one in the works. Please let me know what you think, either way. I'm trying to grow in this hobby. I've been a metal guy most of my working career, but this is my first endeavor into the "art" world, and I really like it.
IMG_1055.jpg

Not bad at all. I tried to look, but am unable to see the pins. Did you pin it or epoxy the handle onto the blade?

Just epoxy. I realized to late I hadn't drilled any pin holes in the tang. I suppose I could always go back with a carbide drill or something like that.

304 stainless. Just some scrap I had around. But it turned out nice. I like the aesthetics.

Kev, if you happened to put a few notches in the tang to help hold the epoxy I seriously doubt you will ever miss the pin at all in the handle.

good work on knife - it will serve nicely.

I did notch the tang and rough sander it with 36 grit prior to gluing. Good to know that may be sufficient. Lesson learned though and I'll most likely pin the next one.
Thanks for all the replies.

Back