Just a word on Husky files from Home Depot

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
This morning I exchanged 2 more sets of Husky files for replacements. This makes 8 sets that I have worn out and replaced under Home Depot's "guaranteed forever" policy. Not bad considering that the first two sets cost me less then $20, and the replacements I got today makes 8 sets I've gotten for free. :) (HINT....HINT)

While their not nearly as good as Nicholson files, the fact that they replace them once they are worn out makes the short trip to Home Depot worth it! :)

How long does it take to wear them out, Ed? Do you keep the receipt in your toolbox, or does it take longer than that?

Hey Ed, what sets are you getting there. After your post I checked out their website and did see a nice looking needle file set for about $10 with a lifetime replacement. That seems like a great deal even if they wear out pretty quick

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

This is the file set: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Flat-Curve-Assortment-File-Set-10-Piece-22105HD/100091245

They wear fairly well on annealed steel. I tend to wear then out whenever I have to dress up the shoulders on hidden tangs, post heat treat. :) To keep track of the receipt, I just make a slit in the packaging with my pocket knife....and slip the receipt in there. When I remove the files I don't destroy the packaging....just cut it enough to get each file out.... then when its worn out, I slip it back into the package. I only use aboout 4-5 of the files in the set.... but for the price and the warranty....why not!? :)

This is the file set: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Flat-Curve-Assortment-File-Set-10-Piece-22105HD/100091245

They wear fairly well on annealed steel. I tend to wear then out whenever I have to dress up the shoulders on hidden tangs, post heat treat. :) To keep track of the receipt, I just make a slit in the packaging with my pocket knife....and slip the receipt in there. When I remove the files I don't destroy the packaging....just cut it enough to get each file out.... then when its worn out, I slip it back into the package. I only use aboout 4-5 of the files in the set.... but for the price and the warranty....why not!? :)

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks, Ed!

Brace yourself guys...but... as the owner of a manufacturing company, I fail to see how this practice is fair to the store or the manufacturer.
The price of these files compared to Nicholson would lead me to believe that these are marketed to hobbyists, not professionals.
I don't think that we would buy cheap belts, gummy tape, or cheap machinery and expect it to work well and last forever. go to Harbor Freight and buy a marginal piece of equipment and you have to buy a replacement policy at an additional charge to get it replaced if you choose to use it all the time and wear it out.
These files just happen to fall under the stores blanket guarantee policy.

I was reprimanded in the early days of KnifeDogs for offering to share a "how to" video because it reduced the revenue to the video maker. It made sense and I pulled my offer.

If we sell a simple utility knife and the user cuts cardboard 8 hours a day and has to sharpen it till the blade is gone, are we willing to replace it for free?

respectfully submitted,
Steve Janik

Steve: I can certainly see where you're coming from. It could certainly be viewed in that manner. Until I read your post, I'd never considered it in that context.

We all come at things through the lens of our own experience, and my mindset is that I warranty my knives for life, and will repair or replace, as long as I am physically able to do so....with the exception of abuse.... which I clearly state in my warranty information.

When I see the "Guaranteed FOREVER" on the file set's packaging, that means it's either A: They are Built to last a lifetime, or B: They are willing to replace the item(s) if it wears out. The exact wording is "If your Husky hand tool ever fails, bring it back and we will replace it Free." That's the manufacturer's/retailer's option....... I assume that if there were conditions (referencing hobbyist versus professional use) , it would be stated.

I suspect that if Husky starts putting conditions on their warranty, the way Craftsman did, Husky tools will suffer the same fate as Craftsman/Sears.

Last edited:
Having been on both ends of this, I'll add this. Large companies have this type of thing calculated out to the Nth degree. I'm certain before they offered any kind of warranty, the bean counters had it all worked out and gave the thumbs up. I'm sure for every serious tool guy out there that turns in 4 sets a year there are 10 guys with once used set rusting away in a tool box somewhere. It's all a game, and the big companies play it well.

i'm with Ed on this. As Kev says, I have no doubt that Husky's warranty was vetted by a team of actuaries before it was sent to Legal for approval and finally signed off as policy. (I would venture a guess that the actuaries consulted Engineering who said "that's crazy talk!" and then consulted Marketing who said "Yes!! For the continuance of the buyer's bloodline!!" and then the SVP of Sales split the difference.)

In my view, using a tool as designed regardless of how often does not in any way constitute abuse. It's a file. I don't care if it is made of unicornium, given enough strokes it will become worn out. The warranty implies, no- it states clearly, that failure is covered. Clearly Husky believes this is a good marketing strategy, and it is. Because of Ed's experience I will buy Husky files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just happened across this thread while browsing the site today and decided to sign up and post, but I do not think I would be proud of doing this. If I'm understanding this correctly, the files didn't fail, they got dull, i.e. wear and tear. Wear and tear is not failure on a consumable product.

Imagine the outrage if someone bought a custom knife or set of custom knives from a knifemaker and when they got dull and thoroughly used they tried to exchange them for a brand new handmade knife? Maybe I misunderstood what's happening here.

Sam

This morning I exchanged 2 more sets of Husky files for replacements. This makes 8 sets that I have worn out and replaced under Home Depot's "guaranteed forever" policy. Not bad considering that the first two sets cost me less then $20, and the replacements I got today makes 8 sets I've gotten for free. :) (HINT....HINT)

While their not nearly as good as Nicholson files, the fact that they replace them once they are worn out makes the short trip to Home Depot worth it! :)

I just happened across this thread while browsing the site today and decided to sign up and post, but I do not think I would be proud of doing this. If I'm understanding this correctly, the files didn't fail, they got dull, i.e. wear and tear. Wear and tear is not failure on a consumable product.

Imagine the outrage if someone bought a custom knife or set of custom knives from a knifemaker and when they got dull and thoroughly used they tried to exchange them for a brand new handmade knife? Maybe I misunderstood what's happening here.

Sam
I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. "Gauranteed Forever" is pretty much industry standard for countless brands of import tool brands carried in the big box stores. They can statistically guarantee that only 1 of every "n" customers is ever going to return a tool for warranty replacement, "x" number of times, over "y" number of years. Given the profit margins on your average import tool, they can more than afford to do this, especially given the additional number of tools they sell, based on the guarantee that they have to enforce relatively few times.

If my knives had the same profit margins, annual sales, and as vast of a customer audience, I'd probably offer a very similar guarantee as well.

I understand what you're saying, I simply disagree. The warranty language in the post above stated "if the tool fails" they'll replace. Dulling is not failure.

We can wonder all day about Husky's business model and profit plan with these but the point that stands out to me, and the reason I posted, was the idea of buying a tool that we know will get dull and then calling it a "failure" and expecting it to be replaced for free when it does.

Using this logic everyone that ever buys a Husky file will only have to buy one, and then Husky will replace it as it dulls for the rest of their life. Also, I'm not sure it's apples to oranges here. Files cut. Knives cut. When they both get dull (as they inevitably do), would a knifemaker replace a knife with a new one just for dulling?

Sam

Everyone will always have their own interpretation of what ever is being discussed. In this case we are discussing a tool, with no explanation of the warranty given, other then the package being marked with "Guaranteed Forever" I've actually asked the question of the folks at Home Depot "What does Guaranteed Forever mean, and does that include them wearing out?" The answer I received was: "If any Husky tool that is marked Guaranteed Forever fails to perform, for any reason, we will replace it for free, provided you have the purchase receipt." Pretty cut and dry answer. In fact every time I return a set of files, my explanation for the return is "they are worn out." So obviously the warranty does cover the files dulling/wearing out.

My opinion of the logic question about dulling is certainly an apples to oranges.... the average person has the knowledge and ability to resharpen a knife blade, not so with files. In fact, the majority of modern files cannot physically be resharpened because of the materials and how they are manufactured.

If the folks at Home Depot have no qualms about replacing a file/file set because it wears out, then I have no qualms about it either. I'm sure if it becomes a burden to the company, it will go just as Craftsman tools did.... they'll cut out the "Forever" warranty, and folks will look elsewhere for their tool needs.

Speaking for myself only, I'll agree to disagree about the part about indefinitely returning a consumable item that dulls, under the premise that it has "failed." That being said, obviously everyone is else is free to do as they please.

If Home Depot has no problem with it, then you have your answer already.

Sam

Sam,

If companies actually made products that would last anymore we wouldn't have to worry about this. It was their decision to make their product in China, use less than superior materials and to provide a lifetime warranty. They know what they are doing, provide a cheap product knowing it will wear out and that 90% of the people will chalk it up as a loss. My dad has files from the 60s that are still sharp, they didn't have a forever guarantee, they were just made good.

Reactions: MJV
Back