Lost in Old Age

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
According to some, I am not old. Not sure what I am doing here but here goes. Do to several joint problems in my favorite arm, hand, and wrist my knife making has pretty much stopped. Around 3 weeks ago I got a call from a fellow in Little Rock that had received one of my knives as a gift from a friends collection who had just passed away. We got to talking and I was telling him about the knife I had just started working on a few days before his call. Up until then I was in a pretty deep knife making rut. I had lost all interest until then. While working on this knife I started noticing the desire to be making once again. Got it and the sheath finished up a few days ago but the photo's I had taken inside were all pretty bad. Got some sunshine today which made for much better photos. This piece will be heading to Little Rock.

The knife has a mystery steel blade, most likely forged out of a piece of leaf spring. The blade is 4 1/4". Pretty sure the piece of crown stag is from a small Montana whitetail. Used mild steel for the fittings. The knife is around 9" overall. This sheath is made like a sandwich. Buckskin on both the inside and outside with thin cowhide scrap leather in the center. Didn't want to go purchase any new leather right at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_5849.JPG
    IMG_5849.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5850.jpg
    IMG_5850.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5851.jpg
    IMG_5851.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 72
One of my most prized possessions is my Raymond Richards knife. I take it out every now and then and admire it, study it,turn it over and around and look at it from every angle. There are no flaws in it and Knifemaking mastery is obvious in every aspect of it. Thank you Ray for this masterpiece and for being the good knifemaker and Christian example that you are. God bless you my friend.

Great looking knife sometimes we just get down on ourselfs and lose interest in the things we love.This is when we sit back and reflect on how we got like this and wat do we need to do to move forward.Seems like you found your way there God Bless!

Great looking combo Raymond. Glad to see you posting again. Did you dye the handle?
Doug
Jn. 3:16

Doug, Yes the handle was dyed. Here's a photo of what the knife looked like after I had the parts on the knife.

Calvin, Thanks for the kind words, I feel the same about you and your work.

Thanks for the comments! Not sure if I will be making much of anything now until I get the hand and wrist fixed. This latest knife project stirred up a lot of discomfort but I sure enjoyed it.

Attachments

• IMG_5824.jpg
    IMG_5824.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for sharing, Ray.
I have not made a knife in several months, maybe a year, due to pain issues and body breakdowns, and my available time being consumed by a power hammer project I started a year ago. That project I started as an investment in my knife making hobby is probably keeping me from actually making knives when I have time and feel good enough to do anything- go figure. Anyway, I commend you for getting back in the saddle. Even though I don't have much to post here lately, I still scan the forum sometimes, and I always appreciate your posts. -and not for just the knife-making skills you possess, but maybe even moreso for your spiritual insights. I will be praying for your journey.
In Christ,
Bill
PS: The knife and sheath look great! I have a similar rustic rasp knife that I made a quite a while back that is waiting for me to make a sheath- your sheath gives me some ideas for that one. Thx again

Thanks Raymond, What do you use to dye it with?
Doug
Jn. 3:16

I've used Fiebings leather dye in the walnut color for several years now. I had better luck with the oil dye which I think they call Pro Dye now. On this piece of antler I just applied it and let it soak in for a few minutes and then wiped it off. I also sealed it. One thing I have found out over the years things don't always work the same way as the previous time.

Bill, I never got into making my own tools except for Godzilla which was real simple. I did purchase a real nice forging press but never got use to it before a fire took it away. I got the press with the hopes of it prolonging some of my favorite body parts. I continued the hand forging for several years after that which I really enjoyed but have been paying price now for my over indulgence. Fortunately I spend a lot my time working on my spiritual vision.

Ray, I can feel your pain! It seems like there is less and less days where I feel like going to my shop! Brother, "where there is will there is a way". Your work has always inspired me! Maybe you need to do some reduction process! Hang in there man, and I hope to see new and exciting things coming from you for years to come!!

Ray, I can feel your pain! It seems like there is less and less days where I feel like going to my shop! Brother, "where there is will there is a way". Your work has always inspired me! Maybe you need to do some reduction process! Hang in there man, and I hope to see new and exciting things coming from you for years to come!!

As much as I enjoyed working on this knife and sheath I'm going to put the knife making on hold. Going to see about getting the hand and wrist operated on in mid May. See what happens....

Back