Uniform handled knives

MikeL

KNIFE MAKER
Both are 440c with old Air Force camo uniform handles. I have some things to improve on. Particularly the peening process on the bolster. I've heard of some folks drilling a cone shape into the hole to help the pin spread during peening. Guess I'll look into what kind of drill bit that would be and give it a try. I also see some scratches on the cutting bevel I need to fix. Thanks for looking. Any critiques or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 106
Nice looking knives. If you want something to enlarge the ends of the pin or thong tube holes to allow the pin or tube to expand into when peening them just go to the next sixe drill bit an use it to enlarge the ends of the holes.

Doug

Looking good! I've only bolstered 3 fixed blades so far and I've had great outcomes. I'm using matching 300 series stainless and pins. I drill holes with a normal bit, but I come back with a tapered dremmel bit to put a very slight chamfer at the tops. Make sure the pins and holes are clean, no dirt, grime or epoxy. I peen VERY thoroughly, longer than I think it needs it and then finish with a couple big hammer strikes to be sure I've squashed the dickens out of it. You might describe your process and one of the pros can spot where it needs improvement.

I should probably pay more attention to whether the pin hole was throughly cleaned. Also, I should probably get the bolster a little closer to final thickness before the peening process and then flare out the pin hole some. Thanks for the comments and tips.

A search for tapered pin reamers should yield what you're looking for. I use hand reamers and just give a couple of quick twists for each pin hole. It really doesn't take much at all.

A fun little test is to ream and peen a couple pieces of material together without any glue, then try to pull them apart. :)

... with sheaths

My brother has been doing leatherwork for many years. Here is a link to work he did on his bike : https://youtu.be/Zlcy6aKZfSI
Now he is getting into making sheaths for me. Thought I would post his work on the knives I already posted in this thread. 8-9 oz , oak leaf.

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 14
Back