First welded billet

Freds Edge

I have started my first welded billet , started with 11 layers of 1084 and 15N20 , 1'' wide and 3.5 " long , forged out to 5.5'' long and 1.5'' wide. My power hammer (my right arm) has come to the conclusion that a mechanical power hammer or hyd press are in order.

Whaaaaaaaaat no pics??? OK I get it, too tired to trigger the shutter!! :biggrin: You are way ahead of me!! Still would like to see! :les: :35:

Now you understand why the power hammers and pressed are so important to us old farts!. I still remember my first Damascus billet by hand.... started looking for a power hammer shortly there after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are a few pix's,the material ,the welded billet ready for the forge and the end result . As an aside note this Saturday I am going to a meeting of the Michigan Artistic Blacksmith Assc., it taking place only a few miles from my house and yes ED I'am starting my search for a small power hammer,LOL.IMG_1355.jpgIMG_1356.jpgIMG_1357.jpgIMG_1359.jpg

Well started with 2 stacks of 10 layer and one stack of 11 layer all 1''x 3'' and now after much hammering I have 1 billet of 42 layer at 1.3''x 4.3''x 1'' and contemplating my next move . Thinking of cutting it into 3 equal pieces , stacking them and forge welding for 124 layers then hot cutting the stack andIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1367.jpg re-welding for I think some Feather Damascus

Back