New Guy from Central Kentucky

cedarghost

Hey everyone. I'm new to smithing and knife making. Built a Paint can mini forge to heat treat and maybe bang out some metal and I am working on building a slightly bigger, propane tank - style forge with venturi burners to eventually be able to forge weld, etc.

Tools include-
4 x 36 HF special, modded with a 4 inch gear and cut part of the platen off on each side to allow plunge grinding
bench grinder
hand tools (angle grinder, jig saw, drills, hammers, etc.)
55 lb cheap anvil
vacuum chamber for stabilizing (home made)

Still need a drill press, band saw, etc.

I wanted to try and make a knife to butcher my venison and I've become obsessed....haha

Working on making my first knife out of a mower blade and I'm learning alot. Mostly what NOT to do!
I made the handles on this out of oak hardwood samples from Lowe's. The bolsters are made from the bumper off my old 79 Ford and the pins are brazing rod. I still need to finish out the handles and finish sharpen the blade. Probably won't polish it (not sure yet).
I etched my initials and a paw print in the blade with a DC power supply, salt water and a Q-tip just to play around and see what it would do.
This knife is butt ugly, but it's sharp and hardened and tempered and my first attempt. The plunge lines are bad, the bevel is uneven and the bolsters are too far forward but I had a lot of fun making it.

knife.jpg

Welcome Cedarghost! Your shop inspector in the corner of your photo looks serious about the project....That's a good first knife.

Welcome to KD. You'll find that knifemaking turns from a thought to a hobby to a passion. There's a lot of great people here with great info.

Your first knife is something to be proud of, no matter what you think of it. Keep it and you can always look back and remember all the hard work you've put into your craft.

Back