Stained Curly Maple Utility with Bronze Accents

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I got some really great photos of this knife that I made a while back. I posted it before but wanted to give it a clearer view with the better pics and showcase the outstanding leather work from my friend and sheath maker Claude Scott.

It's a hand forged blade from 80CrV2 steel with silicon bronze fittings and a stained curly/quilted/beeswing maple handle. The blade has what I will be referring to from henceforth as a 'French Patina' (French's brand yellow mustard in layman's terms ;) , sounds so much classier, doesn't it? :D ).

All comments and discussion welcome.

32570112413_0d8f9e7569_c.jpg

33343646736_62f8224b74_c.jpg

I really want to say thanks to Coop for these fine pics. I'm always impressed by the way Jim manages to catch ALL the details and features of a knife in only an image or two, instead of the 8 or 9 it would take me to show the same details. And he does it in such a clear and striking way each time, with impressive layouts. My hat is off to you Jim. You're a true professional.

Wow it's amazing what a different photo can do to the look of a knife. The bronze has more of gold color and the curly maple matches the patina. The blue color of the patina was not in your last pictures.

Beautiful knife. Love the sheath as well.
How do you do the patina on the blade?

Last edited:
The french patina looks similar to the navy camo. Is really unique and blends yet contrasts with the handle. Another beauty.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

That is just an amazing knife! I liked it very much before and the new pics really show it off. With leather work like that it's a good thing you have a real gem hidden inside!

I liked the knife before, but with the professional photos, it looks absolutely gorgeous! It brings out all the detail including that beautiful "French" patina. I love your work.

Back