Hand Sanding Hollow Grinds

BrandantR

I have tried several different methods for hand sanding hollow grinds, but every method that I've tried tends to wash out my grind lines. So, I thought I would ask my fellow knife makers to see if there's something I may be missing. Does anyone have a particular method or tool that they use to hand sand their hollow grinds that keeps your lines crisp without washing them out?

I've used hard wood blocks cut to match the radius of the grinds. Sections of hockey pucks cut the same way work pretty good too. I haven't done any hollow grinds in quite some time now but when I did those are the things I used and I was satisfied with the results.

I have tried several different methods for hand sanding hollow grinds, but every method that I've tried tends to wash out my grind lines. So, I thought I would ask my fellow knife makers to see if there's something I may be missing. Does anyone have a particular method or tool that they use to hand sand their hollow grinds that keeps your lines crisp without washing them out?

I rarely do hollow grinds on knives, but often do on swords, sometimes for the bevels but often for fullers. As Mr. Doyle said I have an assortment of polishing sticks made from steel, wood and wood covered with leather or rubber, that match the radius of my contact wheels. The steel sticks keep the cleanest lines and re the most aggressive, the wooden sticks make a nice clean finish, and the leather/rubber covered ones are good for final softening or burnishing of the finish, but I use them sparingly when I want my lines really crisp.

Hockey pucks work perfect for this. You grind them back to match the radius of your hollow and use 1" shop rolls.

Hockey pucks work perfect for this. You grind them back to match the radius of your hollow and use 1" shop rolls.
That's a great idea! I have several boxes of 1" shop rolls that are just sitting there. Now I just have to find a hockey puck.

Back