Joe Hauser's first knife

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
My son Joe just finished his first knife. He just turned 15 and loves working in the shop. He wanted to make a knife for a friend of ours who loves knives but has 8 girls and no custom knife budget. He did everything (design to finish) except inlaying my friend Mike's name and heat treating the blade.

After finishing it I think he would have kept it if it wasn't already personalized. He spent a few days just sanding....lol. I think it became like a child to him.

The blade is O1, handle is something I stabilized with red dye as a test. He liked the look and used it.

He's starting on the sheath tonight.

20170307_151708.jpg

20170307_151740.jpg

20170307_151730.jpg

Last edited:
that's pretty fantastic for a first knife! He should be extremely proud of that! If he isn't, he needs to cruise over to the "first knife" thread. Then he will truly appreciate how good his knife is.

Thanks guys. He is indeed happy with it. He has been making cardboard and foam knives, swords, etc. for years. Last year I started him on aluminum blades and wood handles.(I guess this is really knife #25 or so...lol. but the first one that cuts) For some reason making a real blade seemed intimidating to him a couple years ago so I did not push....just sneakily led him along to where the step from aluminum to steel was natural. All the skills he had learned on the mock stuff helped him greatly on this one. I can tell giving it away is going to be tough...lol.

Knife #2 can be his.

Back