I need a new chuck!

J. Hoffman

Dealer - Purveyor
I need a new chuck for my drill press. I can't justify an Albrecht, but was looking at either a Jacob or Rohm. The Jacob is made in Tiawan and the Rohm in Germany. I'm leaning towards the Rohm, but would be happy to hear other suggestions. I'm looking for a keyless model. JT33

Either of those are very nice chucks. Just a heads up, I've purchased a couple of keyless chucks from Shar's tool, and although they are imports, they are darn good for the money.

Either of those are very nice chucks. Just a heads up, I've purchased a couple of keyless chucks from Shar's tool, and although they are imports, they are darn good for the money.

I have Shars keyless for my knee mill and my lathe tail stock, and I agree that they are hard to beat for the money. My mill chuck gets a lot of use, and it has held up pretty good for the most part. It tends to slip a little bit more than it used to, but tightens right back up. I haven't measured run out (though I guarantee it's more than an Albrecht, Rohm, or Jacobs, hahah), but for what I use it for, it's more than adequate. If I need more precise, I use collets. That said, I'm not building watches, so it's normally a non-issue.

I tend to use drill chucks more than collet chucks on the cnc...I have Albrechts but prefer the Rohm chucks. They are much cheaper and they tend to tighten a bit more as you use them....meaning sometimes I have to use channel locks to loosen. I much prefer that over spinning/slipping a drill. I don't mind putting channel-locks to 'em as the knurling is no where near as nice as an Albrecht.:biggrin: They will run as true as you mount them.

Back