1st time grinding

absolutely anybody can grind one side of a blade. The trick is getting the other side to match...

At least a few (a dozen?) practice grinds out of mild steel will help and is cheaper than knife grade steel. The mild steel rack at your local hardware or home store probably has what you want. Start with 1/8 or 5/32" thick. The majority of fixed blades are around 1/8" thick

Pick one, hollow or flat grinds and stick with one until you have the experience to get a reasonably decent grind. Then switch to the other grind and practice those. You want to be able to do both types of grinds.

Anytime you are struggling to get grind lines to match and become frustrated, try switching to a new, sharp belt. Using new sharp belts is significantly easier than using worn belts.

Generally, I start grinding at nearly the fastest speed the grinder can go and take off half, then I start slowing down as I progress through the grits. When I am finishing a blade grind, I might be at 1/4 speed.

If you are flat grinding, like John mentions above, make sure your platen is flat. We use ceramic glass on all of our platens and change them out routinely when they have low spots. Trying to get a good even grind line on a platen that has dips and high spots will drive you to drink. The low spots only need to be a few thou deep to create issues getting a crisp grind line. Contact wheels tend to wear in the middle of the wheel. This can be dressed out but generally, this isn't a big problem and you just grind into it. When I am hollow grinding, I can tell where the high and low spots are on the wheel and use them accordingly. 80% of your grinding on a contact wheel is done on the out 1/4" on either side.

Don't be afraid to walk away from a grinding session if it going well. It happens to everyone, even the veterans. Come back the next day and it nearly always easier.

Really!? I find grinding very much a "zen" thing...the only way I can focus on all the variables at play is to relax and let my eyes,ears, and fingers take over. It seem to be less an intellectual thing than a "feel" thing. I probably would have gotten in my car and gone home too a coupla times but I was already there...lol
I just learned a new technique recently while watching a grinding class on Travis Weurtz's page and also now find grinding relaxing. I was always frustrated before because I was doing it wrong. For one, I had my grinder set up too high. Technique is important

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well after regrinding over and over I finally got it right on the good side but my weak side I took a lil too much off.I messed up on my angle.But it's getting better.

Back