Handle Attachment with Filing

Jellis11

Hey guys, I have a question....I have been building a knife and recently did some file work on the spine. The guy I am making it for wants Merino Ram Horn for the handle material. So, my question is (as this is my first attempt with decorative filing) will I need a spacer material between the horn and handle to help fill in the filing? Or will the horn material alone suffice?

Also, critiques are welcome!

IMG_2205.JPG

Works both ways. If you don't use a liner and can get the filler color to match the horn, that can be a great look.
Otherwise, use a dark spacer and black epoxy to make both the horn and the filing pop.
Just my 2 cents.

I've done both methods and like Mr. Janik said, filling the filework with a color helps to make your hard work pop nicely with a black. I've also done a fill that used shavings of the antler itself to color the epoxy to match the coloring. I used a grout bit on a Dremel to grind out excess shavings off scrap antler that was cut for the fitting. You just put in a little bit and it came out nicely. You can test it to make sure you have the right mixture and color you want.

Back