I have a problem a wood addiction problem

I was cutting out cabinet parts this morning and came across this.
2017-03-29 08.53.20.jpg2017-03-29 08.53.41.jpg

A good 4"+ of the width of this 10' long maple board has a lot of figuring. I just can't bring myself to use it in painted cabinets.

I was cutting out cabinet parts this morning and came across this.
View attachment 60833View attachment 60834

A good 4"+ of the width of this 10' long maple board has a lot of figuring. I just can't bring myself to use it in painted cabinets.

I have this conversation with a friend of mine who has gotten into woodworking. It wasn't all that long ago we had no appreciation for figured wood. We wonder how many gorgeous pieces of wood we've thrown into fire pits over the years without even a second thought. Now I can't walk past a popsicle stick without looking for figure in it.

"Now I can't walk past a popsicle stick without looking for figure in it."

Yep.Wood is like a guy stranded on a island to me now....the harder it "waves" the more likely it gets saved....lol

hehe, that's a good one. Now I'm going to imagine pieces of wood with little footprints in the sand spelling out " K N I F E S C A L E S "

a78ff0fc223bebffc14d877a865edb66.jpg

Speaking of charactered wood tossed in a fire, I talked a buddy out of burning some black locust an dropping a few pieces off at my house.
It is really hard to keep all the pretty pieces.
I found out that I burnt about 6 milk crates of teak because it was on pallets that I thought were crappy oak and fir. Oh the naievety. Lol live an learn. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Justin, I'll have some stabilized stuff for sale in a couple weeks.
Cool John, That is a wood I have not used and really catches my eye. Glad it's a couple weeks because I'm tapped out right now I just bought a smoker for my birthday

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have this conversation with a friend of mine who has gotten into woodworking. It wasn't all that long ago we had no appreciation for figured wood. We wonder how many gorgeous pieces of wood we've thrown into fire pits over the years without even a second thought. Now I can't walk past a popsicle stick without looking for figure in it.

I'll never look at a popsicle stick the same again.
Justin I can't wait to start using that buckeye on some knives. Just need to have it stabilized.
Some Madagascar Ebony.

IMG_20170328_180617239.jpg

I know what you guys mean about great woods . One of the most enjoyable things about knife making for me is finding
cool wood. There's a great bass guitar maker in my shops building who has given me some nice cut-offs . My cousin in Scotland
has sent me some East Anglican Bog Oak and vintage scotch whiskey barrel staves. They make awesome sgian dubh's .
J.Paul

Here is some more walnut that I cut out of this.
2017-02-18 18.11.05.jpg
I can't believe the amount of figuring in this stuff.
2017-03-05 13.46.46.jpg2017-03-29 20.25.51.jpg2017-04-11 10.22.19.jpg2017-04-11 10.22.48.jpg

I can't wait to get it dry and use some of it.

Attachments

• 2017-02-18 18.11.05.jpg
    2017-02-18 18.11.05.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 14
Back