I have a problem a wood addiction problem

Not wood, but pretty cool anyway. I couldn't resist. ;)

33894120095_7432a83aaa_c.jpg

Those are gorgeous!

You guys have already seen this block in the supplies for sale section. It jumped to the top of the list for must use material. I was worrying about the cross cut on the burl but my buffer decided that the block looked better on the other side of the garage. I'm not worried any more. This is a tough block of wood.

IMG_20170422_163318589.jpg

IMG_20170422_163331006.jpg

Most definitely, "money in the bank"!!!!

WOW! So much figure, color, and just plain old AWESOMENESS IN PIECES THAT SIZED!!! I'm telling you the very first thing I was blown away by was the color, figure, and what I know will be Chatoyance, once polished, but then the size..., I mean SIZE, OF EACH ONE WITH THE BEFORE MENTIONED AESTHETICS, ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER END!!!!
I AM UTTERLY, BLOWN AWAY!!!!
BEAUTIFUL STUFF!!! I guess you've been banking at the, "First Wood National Bank of California", for some time now, I see.
And I agree!
Money in the BANK!!!
I bet you would find that they all have APPRECIATED a great deal, especially, if these were bought in, what?
The 70's, roughly? Yeah, the rate of return on these has got to be pretty good!!!
But with any investment, most of the best returns are filled with RISK! Although, these I don't think, have near as many!
These are just like your Dad said, Money in the BANK!
Thanks for sharing!
Rex
BTW, if you ever think about selling any of those, P.M. PLEAASSSEE!!!! EVEN IF IT'S HALF OF ONE!!!
And I would prefer it in its full or half size!

Not wood, but pretty cool anyway. I couldn't resist. ;)

33894120095_7432a83aaa_c.jpg
John,
If and when you find incredible handle material, that's affordable, you have to jump on it!
Besides, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! OK, now everyone knows I'm a GEEK!
Anyway, This looks like some BEAUTIFUL, BARK MAMMOTH IVORY!!
What I'm NOT understanding about this material, is why the Fed's are lumping; Mammoth Ivory, Walrus Ivory, and probably a few others in with the Elephants, that are definitely Endangered! I'm not disagreeing with the ban on Elephant Ivory, not at all!
And I'm not saying that banning the Ivory that they are killed for is what I disagree with, Mammoth's were extinct way before any of us were born, the materials for ancient walrus were the same way, and I'm pretty sure that the Warthog Tusks, that aren't used very often, aren't very high on the wish list of most Knife makers! But if what I read is true, just about any animal producing Ivory was included in these new laws, laws meant to protect animals that aren't even in our country!! Who are the ones demanding that all of these animals be included in the laws meant to protect Elephants?? To me. it feels like PETA may be the one pull the strings in the background if that's the case look for leather to be next!!
It looks to me like they already KNOW that there aren't enough of the banned materials in the U.S. to support the size of the Task Force needed to pursue and prosecute the few they catch! So, they have to go after honest hard working people that are using materials that have NEVER been illegal, that have ALWAYS BEEN LEGAL! They pretty much have to essentially use honest people, so they will have someone to persecute...I mean prosecute, and more importantly FINE and Confiscate the materials, ( and possibly their personal property!), they bought with their own money to use to support their families!!!
So they will be able to support their endeavors!

Sorry for the rant, I'm not positive that these actions have been solidified, but if I had to bet on it, under the old
administration, it was made into law, it all depends on how the NEW administration acts on it! Only time will tell!
I'm quite certain President Trump holds no affection towards PETA! The other thing we will never know is the lobbyist they hire to gain the influence, they so desperately need!

Just my 2 cents, I'm not looking for anyone to agree or disagree with me, as I'm sure there are plenty on both sides,
as this isn't the place to hold a discussion, the only thing I should have done, was comment on the beautiful scales John has acquired, beautiful material John, just like everything I've seen from you!
Thanks, Rex

Will do Rex....Glad you like 'em. I have two or three more I will put up soon. I have left these (the pics here) out so every time I walk by I seem to give 'em a pet...They really are striking and I love looking at them. If I get to selling any I will buzz you first.

I have one claro blank that is already rough inleted and shaped. Whoever picked the grain for the stock NAILED it! That one I will finish eventually. But the color...deep red and dark brown wide stripes wrapping the cheekpiece and then running out the butt of the stock. Someone knew their planning. i actually thing the grain is so wide in that it's probably good that it's already a stock. I'll post a pic just for you wood junkies!

I also have a blank that is very light...very curly grain and NOT maple. I don't know what it is. It looks miserable to work as it feels light and "punky"...but the grain is curly and I like curly....lol.

The slab blanks, though....super tight highlights. Definitely awesome knife wood.

Yes...all from the 70s. and with a bit of finish on them they GLOW!!

Last edited:
the plain jane shaped walnut stock is beautiful Claro also...it's just so rough that it doesn't show much highlight....it's there in subtle waves. That one I may chop up as i already don't like the shape.

I plan on judiciously cutting the blanks up as I need handles for customs, not just sawing them up....as I gain experience I'm sure my ability to "see"handles in the blanks will improve. I have a bunch of other nice handle blanks to work on before I'll be cutting into these...in a year or two or three...lol. these are the nicest wood I own and I want to be up to the task!

Last edited:
That corner didn't whimper too much! Tough wood!

It hurt me (ego) more than the wood that's for sure. I have had a buffer in my garage for over 10 years and have never had a problem with something getting away from me. Lessoned learned, never get that close to the edge of material. Or poof gone.

I can't see the pictures you posted. Is it me?

yeah...I'll cross that bridge when I'm making high grade stuff. The one that has a pattern over it would still yield some knives and a stock. Probably the wisest way to proceed? Then If I'm not in love with the handles I haven't trashed a stock....

I'm pretty sure they will make amazing knife handles.

I can't see them in Tapatalk on my phone but if I log on to the website I can....kind of frustrating it seems like something has changed and some pictures I can see and some I can't.
What about you smallshop?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I can't see them in Tapatalk on my phone but if I log on to the website I can....kind of frustrating it seems like something has changed and some pictures I can see and some I can't.

Same here, tapatalk only shows me pictures when it wants to..

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

First time they have not worked on my kindle. The second set I put up worked...I didn't do anything different. maybe just a glitch?

Back