New Bowie

Wayne Bensinger

Hi guys, hope all is well.
Boy, it's seems like it's been forever since I've posted a picture of any knives I've completed. Here's a Bowie that I need to just complete the leather sheath. Specs are:
Hidden tang
154CM-59RC
12" tip to end
304 SS guard and forefinger groove
Snow leopard handle with green spacers
Cannelure
Stainless and brass pin

Had fun building this one, as you guys know, I just love the big Bowies, not really sure what I'm gonna do with all of them but it's turning into a nice little collection. Guess I'm a small time collector, ha ha.IMG_7658.jpgIMG_7674.jpgIMG_7695.jpgIMG_7684.jpgIMG_7696.jpg

Love the blade design, that's really nice. I've got some of that same handle material that was given to me a while back.... Never thought it could look like that.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about using that snow leopard either, it's been in my shop for a while, but I like it. When you use your piece I'm sure that you'll notice that there are air bubbles and small inclusions in the mix. I had one air bubble turn up right near one of the green spacers but was able to use super glue during rough shaping of the handle to make it mostly go away. It's very easy to shape though. Thanks for the comments on the blade, it was probably the most difficult I've tried so far, I was able shape the back stage of it on the mill as well as the cannelure.

If I'm not mistaken it is a polyester material. I got it at USA Knifemaker but I'm not sure how popular it is, it looks like there's only a couple of pieces left. Since this knife won't see any heavy action I decided to use it up, but with the easy of cutting and shaping, Im really not sold on how durable or strong it is. Thanks for the comment.

Wayne

Yeah, I wasn't sure about using that snow leopard either, it's been in my shop for a while, but I like it. When you use your piece I'm sure that you'll notice that there are air bubbles and small inclusions in the mix. I had one air bubble turn up right near one of the green spacers but was able to use super glue during rough shaping of the handle to make it mostly go away. It's very easy to shape though.

Thanks for the input Wayne. Your piece here inspired me to try out my own piece and loved the finish. I do believe it is some sort of polyester resin as well and it worked well but heated up really quick and started to get soft. I wasn't able to put it on my buffing wheel so I ended up hand sanding it up to 1200 grit then was able to get a nice shine by using a Mothers metal polish I use for a hamon. It came out pretty well and the next day the material was back to being nice and hard. Unfortunately there was a slight crack in one of the scales that ruined the finish so I'll have to redo it, but it's quite the interesting look..

Back