Resources for carbon steel patina formation??

Kev

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or websites where I can research how to put a durable patina on a carbon steel blade?
Thank you,
Kevin

honestly im not sure about a durable patina i have read using apple vinegar just heat the vinegar soak you,r blade to blacken ore a dark patina the more heaths and soaked the darker the blade ive Only read these not tried yet

"Patina" is nothing more than an a variety of oxide that either forms or is induced (via chemical reaction) to form on the surface of steel. The "base" material remains the same, along with any issues inherent to the material, and while some surface oxides can enhance certain characteristics, nothing is gong to be what I would call "durable" when it comes to carbon steels. The best candidate I have found is a baked on finish such as Gun Kote..... but even that will scratch, etc with time and use.

Last edited:
Wahkon Bay cold brown, or Laural Mt cold brown. I use the Wahkon Bay. It seems slightly less harsh and aggressive. No heating to apply for brown, but to darken to black the steel needs to be boiled. To give an antique look, just sand back to your liking, leaving the rust in the areas it would normally be on a neglected blade.

Back