Horologist's automatic knife

papi

Hey everyone,

i haven't been around for quite some time, but i thought this might be worth stopping by cause you might like to see this :)

I made every part of this knife except the automatic coil spring that opens it. Otherwise, it's all me - the gears, pinions, bushings, even the tiny titanium screws.

There is a little clutch that decouples the gear train when opening to save it from the torque of the spring. It drops the gears back into mesh when closing. See the video below :)

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3475_1.jpg

[video=youtube_share;eScNt4UhnXY]https://youtu.be/eScNt4UhnXY[/video]

Take care,
Ondrej

PS: How have you guys been?

I agree with DeMo, that is hands down the coolest knife I've seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Love watching those gears crank when you close it, I'm a fan of the steampunk look.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Papi,

Amazing work. I'm absolutely fascinated by the spinning gears.

Didn't you have an auto tutorial posted at one time? I can't seem to find it. If you could point the way to it, I'd sure be appreciative!

Thanks,

Trenton

Thank you guys :)

Trenton, i recall something like that, but it wouldn't be of much use to you - as enthusiastically as it was done, it was too soon for me to do a tutorial. I have much better production methods nowadays and i'll be happy to share them with you - send me an e-mail and i'll put it together for you.

Ondrej

Steam Punk, I know a couple of friends and acquaintances that would go crazy of that one!! I just bought a torch from a guy who did steam punk on some zippo lighters and what he showed me was amazing, just like your work amazing! While that may not be exactly my cup of tea, so to speak. I have to appreciate all the time and effort to do spotless work like that.
bow.gif

Back