Different grind for me, what do you think?

Self Made Knives

I've been a flat grinder since the start, but keep practicing with hollow grinds. So, tonight I was pretty happy with the hollow grind on this one and started grinding a swedge on the top. It kept getting bigger and farther back until I ended up at this. Those aren't pin holes by the way, this is a paracord wrapped handle. I've never ground one like this, but I think I kind of like the way it looks, what do you think?
hollow 2.jpg hollow 1.jpg

Looking good Tony. I'm not a huge fan of hollows but hey, if we aspire to sell knives we have to do what the customer wants.

That hollow grind looks pretty good! Not sure if I'm a fan of the serration things on the back buts that's just me...

Looking good, I have a harpoon I flat ground and then went to grind the swedge in and it kept walking back further and further every time I tried to fix it.lol...not sure if I can save mine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I really couldn't remember seeing one quite like this before. It was sort of a happy accident I guess. I'm not sure if that line between two is crisp and straight enough to fly or not. One of the reasons I resist hollow grinding is that it's not as easy to fix with hand sanding. Oh, Daniel, this is just a rough pre-HT grind, that jimping will get smoothed out a lot before its over. I've made this design with and without them, but in the end for this style of blade I like it better with.

You can make wood blocks to match the radius of your hollow grind and it makes hand sanding a breeze. Cutting chunks of cheap hockey pucks works pretty good too.

I did a fair amount of hollow grinding when I was first learning how to grind.

John, what's a hockey puck? :biggrin: Not too many of those laying around down here in the south. I've got a 10" wheel, so I was thinking, what's the best way to get an accurate 10" radius on a block of wood? Guess if you covered it with rubber, it wouldn't have to be super accurate. Need to come up with something, I'll be thinking on it.

Hahaha...you southern guys. :D

If you have a compass you can draw a circle on a piece of 2x6 and make the proper radius. Cut a small chunk that's manageable to sand with and wrap your strip of paper around it.

That's a good looking grind. I'm partial to a nice hollow grind and you pulled it off well. Nice job.

Back