Wych Elm Burl from Scotland

wmhammond

I was in Scotland recently and established a contact in southern Scotland that can supply me with Wych Elm Burl. The first batch he agreed to trade for a custom knife and it was waiting on me when I got home. I posted some pics a while back and will repost them here. As usual, when you really want to good job on a project it just fights you like mad and this one really did. I have finally finished the knife and sheath and, all in, I have probably built it three times. Obviously, he wanted Wych Elm Burl on the handle so there it is. Now that its finished I really like it and I hope he does to. The sheath is my first try at lining a sheath and it went pretty well. I've got some 1.5" X 2" X 5" Wych Elm Burl blocks that I will post up here for sale in a few days. Let me know if you are interested. The Specs of this knife are as follows:

[FONT=Papyrus, cursive]Specifications: “Gentleman's Every Day Carry (EDC)”[/FONT]

[FONT=Papyrus, cursive]Bladematerial: CPM- 154 Stainless Steel Guard/Bolster: Dove Tailed304Stainless Steel[/FONT]
[FONT=Papyrus, cursive]BladeTreatment: None Butt Plate: None
Blade Finish: Hand Sanded2000 Grit, Mirror Finish Handle Length: 4 5/8”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Papyrus, cursive]BladeHardness: 61 ( Rockwell “C” hardness Scale) Handle Spacer:None
OAL: 10” Handle Liner: None
Blade Length: 51/4” Handle Material: Wych Elm Burl
Blade Width at PlungeLine: 1 5/8” Handle Pins: StainlessSteel
Blade thickness at Plunge Line: 5/32" HandleFinish: Sanded to 1500, Buffed and Waxed
[/FONT]
[FONT=Papyrus, cursive]TangTreatment:Full Tang Sheath: HandStitched Vegetable tanned cow hide

[/FONT]IMG_3257.jpgIMG_3258.jpgIMG_3520.jpgIMG_3537.jpgIMG_3534.jpgIMG_3533.jpgIMG_3536.jpgIMG_3360.jpgIMG_3532.jpgIMG_3531.jpg

I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thanks,

Wallace

Ooooh, shiny!!! Very nice attention to detail on both the knife and the sheath. They look like the belong together. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, guys for the nice comments. I should have the Wych Elm Burr scales machined up in a few days.

Wallace

I like the curves and angles. A very busy knife in that your eyes are constantly drawn to a different area as you inspect it. I like the elm. Aside from the burl pattern which is very appealing the wood looks very warm and comfortable. I also appreciate your leather work. In all, very nicely done.

Back