Bluing a rifle barrel questions?

Justin Presson

I'm starting to tear down this old Colt .22lr single shot and want some advice, tips on bluing the barrel and other parts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a DIY kit or if anyone knows of someone who does it that I could send it to.
Thanks
Justin
What good is a thread without pictures

06d02468b6664914b7e37ba8f28281c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Most home gun blue jobs are hit and miss. Precision heat control is needed. I have never tried to blue a gun but have seen a lot of bad home blue jobs. Most gunsmiths now don't want to mess with the hazardous chemicals that are needed for blueing. Anymore you can have them DLC coated for about the same amount of money. It will last longer and you don't have to worry as much about rust. Plus it turns out jet black .

20150716_153939.jpg
This one has a DLC satin coating. It will out last the usefull life of the gun. I know it is not what you asked for but it might help.
Edited to add trying Gentry Custom in Belgrade, MT. He still does blueing on a limited basis.

Last edited:
Justin, I use cold blue on a bunch of my knives. I've also used it resto-modding an old gun once. I don't have it anymore, so can't take a pic, but it came out just fine. I've also seen a few muzzle loader kit guns done with cold blue too. Just as with knives, surface prep is the biggest thing and the way you apply it makes a difference too. If you build up the finish with multiple rounds, it can come out pretty nice. Well, at least I think so. Of course, this is the poor man's refinish, if it's a valuable gun or something too sentimental to risk, you going to have to put out some $$$.

yeah I have done the same with some knives Anthony. What did you do to the barrel when you re blued it did you take it bare metal or just cleaned it and went over existing finish?

I sanded it down to bare metal, actually wet sanded it til it was almost shiny. But, if I were to do it now, I'd probably put it in the blast cabinet and clean with a mild abrasive media. The one I did years ago came out shiny, but I think I like the more matte finish from blast media. Seems like the matte surface ends uo more even too. I wonder if you could find a junk barrel somewhere to practice on? Gun shop maybe?

Justin if you want to experiment with cold blueing I have a couple burnt up shotgun barrels. I can send you one. Let me know.

Brownells also has some great cold blueing. I have used it to great success on several rifle barrels. Oxpho blue is my favorite using multiple coats on a clean barrel.

Traditional rust blueing will give a very durable finish. Cold blue rubs off pretty easily. Rust blue is a lot of effort but the rsults can be as good as hot blue.

Thanks everyone for the replys, some good food for thought.
Ty, thanks for the offer just sent you a DM.

Back