Drill bit info

retiredff

I am new to knife making and have started "rebuilding" a few old knives around the house as well as an old set of kitchen knives. I will probably buy kits for a while and the time will come when I will want to drill 440c. I have researched drill presses but not drill bits. When drilling 440c, what type of drill, and at what speed is normally used. Drill presses run anywhere from 170 to 3100+ RPM. Do I need a cutting oil or some type of coolant?

Thanks

Tony

Will it be hard or soft 440c?
annealed 440c isn't that tough to drill. Any HSS drill will work, cobalt will cut a better hole as it stays sharper quite a bit longer.
Look for split point 135degree. They work better in metal.

some kits with 440c come already hard. You will need carbide bits then.

When ever possible use a cutting oil...and it's almost aways possible.

Thanks for the reply Boss,

The kits I have seen at Jantz supply are polished and hardened. I figured I would start by making the scales and maybe taking a satin finished knife to mirror. I am the type that likes to change things for no good reason. :D

I looked in the yellow pages locally and found nothing on knives,cutlery or sharpening(I live rural). After I learn how to sharpen, why not make a few $$$$ for more tools:D.

The drill presses I have researched usually have speeds from 5-16. The ones with more speeds seem to also have the slower speeds. The Grizzly DP speed range is 170-3050. It is pricey, but the reviews have been good. I can't count the number of times in the last 5 years I wish I had a DP.

The internet is a wonderful tool!

Tony

If you have to drill in hardened steel the Rodman bit's will work. They are like a masonary bit on steroids. I've drilled through hardened 440C and D2 with mine.

They have a couple guys at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville every year drilling through files, other drill bits, etc,etc. I always figured it was a joke and the stuff they were drilling had been annealed. Well I forgot to drill out a hole in a 440C knife blade before heat treat. I was over a my buddy Gil Hibben's doing the heat treat and it was during the farm show and I thought about that guy and decided I was going to take that blade down there with me and ask him to drill it. If he could drill it I'd buy a set and Gil said to buy him a set if it would. Well the bit turned cherry red and drilled through it with no oil. After drilling through it he proceeded to drill through a concrete block and continue on. I brought home two sets for us and a set for my brother. Gil messed up a couple trying to drill some damascus once but they warranteed them. They hard and soft let them grab and chip I think.

Do a search for Rodman multi purpose bit and they will probably come up.

Thanks for the info.

edit: When he drilled the knife could you tell the speed? The reason I asked is when I buy a DP I need to know if I need the low speed near 200 RPM or will a low end near 600 RPM work.

Tony

Last edited:
Back