Sharpening question? With caveats....

Kev

Absolute newcomer here, not relative newcomer, like second knife newcomer. I made a knife with a Scandi grind, A2 steel, professionally heat treated to 59Rc. I've sharpened it every way I know how and I can not get it to pass the paper test. It feels sharp, but it won't cleanly shear the paper. I have successfully sharpened other knives, not saying that counts, but for what it's worth. Any suggestions? Is it even possible?

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 56
That looks like a pretty wide angle for a scandi grind. A scandi is typically about 11 degrees per side, or 22 degrees inclusive. Sometimes it's even less. I imagine you'll have a hard time push cutting paper with such a wide/thick bevel. Personally, I'd take the grind to at least 11 degrees per side.

I agree with Drew. The geometry at the edge is very heavy/obtuse. My recommendation would be to thin it down considerably, so that the sharpened edge is much thinner...as it is, I suspect there is far too much cutting resistance due to those very large edge bevels.

Thank you for the advice. I had a feeling that was it, but I thought I'd ask. I haven't done a lot of studying on geometry and such but I am working on it. Thanks again.

That is a good looking knife - you did good work, just fix the geometry of the brevel. It "looks" like the blade is full thickness from spine to start of bevel? If so, make that bevel extend way up that blade, I like all the way to the spine to make a full flat grind.

If you used files to shape that bevel, you're in for a rough row to hoe moving that bevel post HT. If you've got a 2X72 grinder (or something to power grind with) it won't be a problem even post HT.

Ken H

Thank you. As of now I've got a HF 1x30, and a 3/4 complete 2x72 (not running yet). I've done a full flat grind on other blades that aren't done yet, and I was trying something different. I guess I see why it's not normally done like that. More research on geometry I guess. Thanks again.

Back