Gonna be out of the game for a while?

Leeco

Due to a injury I will be out of the game for a wile. I cut 3 of my fingers off at the joint thursday, and anyone who has been bit by the knife making big it sucks to not be able to go out and start or finish any new projects. It happens at a bad time I had alot going on already that was keeping me from making knives like I'd like too. In the process of moving and building a. 2x72 grinder but for a while I will be looking at knife making magazines and lititure the thread about what other maker are reading came at a good time for me. It will be interesting to see? Thanks too all and keep up the work

Oh man sorry to read about this I sure hope you heal quickly bud. Were they able to reattach or are they gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer Scott - that is really tough. Where they able to put the fingers back on? OR - are the fingers totally gone? Here's our Prayer's for the best.

Ken H>

Sorry to hear about your injury. Stay positive and look at it as just another challenge to overcome in life. Good luck.

Oh man sorry to read about this I sure hope you heal quickly bud. Were they able to reattach or are they gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they got caught in a wood plainer and it just kinda chewed them up a bit.

But knife making is somyhing I am passionate about. I don't think it will limit what I can do it will just slow me down a bit.

Sounds like a delay in the game. Sorry about the bad timing, not that there is ever a good time to plane your fingers.

Great attitude Scott...I met an old german guy that had a stamping/spinning house. he had lost everything but his pinky and thumb on his right hand (i didn't ask but probably a stamping accident)... It was interesting shaking hands with him...but more interesting watching him work...I could not detect any limitation as far as speed or quality as he made a setup on a spinning machine...compensating? Yeah...it was amazing to watch what had become natural to him. Humans are amazingly adaptable!

Oh yeah...he was right handed and wrote with that hand also....

I think if you keep your good attitude you'll be back at it in short order. When discouragement comes remember that is part of the battle also...you'll get over them plateaus.

Please update us one recovery info.

Great attitude Scott...I met an old german guy that had a stamping/spinning house. he had lost everything but his pinky and thumb on his right hand (i didn't ask but probably a stamping accident)... It was interesting shaking hands with him...but more interesting watching him work...I could not detect any limitation as far as speed or quality as he made a setup on a spinning machine...compensating? Yeah...it was amazing to watch what had become natural to him. Humans are amazingly adaptable!

Oh yeah...he was right handed and wrote with that hand also....

I think if you keep your good attitude you'll be back at it in short order. When discouragement comes remember that is part of the battle also...you'll get over them plateaus.

Please update us one recovery info.

Great story.

There's a knifemaker at the Gun and Knife show I go to every month that lost 4 fingers at the middle knuckle on a table saw last year. He only missed one show and was back at it with bandages on his fingers.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law cut one finger almost off at the knuckle just below the nail (they sewed it back on). That was 12 years ago and he still cradles it in the other hand and won't do anything that requires any physical effort because of it.

You have a great attitude Leeco and that is 1/2 the battle.

Sorry to hear of your incident Scott. I hope recovery is quick and relatively painless.

Best woodworker I've ever known was missing parts of AT LEAST 4 fingers between both hands due to at least a couple of incidents over the years. Still could build anything and everything though.

Hope you're able to return to things soon!

Back