Folder Sheath Pics & Questions

amcardon

I know a lot of you frequent other forums as well so forgive my redundant posting here.

Alright, this is the 4th sheath I've made, the first 3 being for fixed blade knives. This sheath I wanted to do a wet formed sandwich sheath for a folder. I don't have any nice folders so I made it for a cheap ka-bar sportsman's warehouse knife. Anyway, this was intended to be a practice sheath to try a couple things that would be new for me. First, the wet forming is a first for me and also this style of belt loop. The other "firsts" are in the finishing. I have heard a lot of people who use tandy edge kote and super sheen for finishing their knives, well I don't know how much I really dig it. The super sheen seems like it will be a great waterproofer but I don't like the feel of it. The edge kote is alright; I do like how it seals the edge. Anyway, I did this combination on purpose so I could see what I thought of the two products individually but on the same sheath.

So, what should I change? What can I do better? What should I try to forget and relearn? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN3292.jpg
    DSCN3292.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN3294.jpg
    DSCN3294.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN3295.jpg
    DSCN3295.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN3296.jpg
    DSCN3296.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN3298.jpg
    DSCN3298.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 36
Looks to me like you did a very nice job. I never liked the look and feel of super sheen either. If you want that type finish the satin sheen is less plastic looking and I've also used a lot of the Feibings Rosolene. I personally use Rosolene or bag kote on most of my projects depending on what it is. The edge coat is all in what you like, you can burnish the edges real well and the top coat does the whole project. Keep up the good work.2thumbs

Agreed on the Super Sheen, it just looks so plasticy to me. I lean towards natural waxes and use the Feibings Leather Balm more than anything else.

Never used Edge Kote, its more of a filler, much more professional results from careful sanding and a nice thin rubbing of Gum Tragacanth. :)

Great craftsmanship on the sheath! You have some talent!

Well, at the suggestion of many people that I should have stitched the sheath closer to the outline of the knife I made the following changes:

Attachments

• DSCN3299.jpg
    DSCN3299.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN3300.jpg
    DSCN3300.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN3301.jpg
    DSCN3301.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3302.jpg
    DSCN3302.jpg