What test blocks to buy.

csalt09

I just bought a rams rockford hardness tester for $200 off eBay. Wondering what test blocks I should get. I mostly use w2 and Abe-l. Thanks

Test blocks can be pretty expensive to purchase. While it's nice to test in the 40's range, as well as around 60 Rc, you can "get by" with a block in the 60's range. Ideally, you would like to find somebody locally with test blocks to calibrate your own test blocks. Tool bits for lathe/milling machines are good test blocks and usually run in the low 60 Rc range. OR - just a smooth block of 1080 that has been hardened to a known Rc number.

Ken H>

I would expect the "c68" to mean Rc 68, but I wouldn't know myself. You're in Citrus County - right there in the Crystal River area. That is a nice part of the country - If you wish to "cheap out" on the test blocks, and can't find anyone around locally to help, send me an email and I can send a block with a value on it to give you an idea where your tester is at. Of course, best is to purchase a test block traced to NIST = but those are pretty expensive.

Ken H>

Yeah , it's one of the better places on Florida if you like the outdoors. Ill look around locally and let you know if I can't find anything. My father has a lot of tool bits for his metal lathe, ill check with him first. Thank you for the help.

Back