Help me with my diy 2x72

I just got a quick question hopefully someone can answer for me. I am very new to knife making Ive completed two knives now on my 1x30 sander. I have a baldor 1.5 hp 1725 single phase motor and i am just wondering if that is a good motor to make this belt sander with. I also want to know if i can use variable speed or a VFC i believe is what it is called, or if i can only use a type pulley system which id rather NOT do. Ill attach the images of the motor here. Thanks in advance!
IMG_7552.jpgIMG_7553.jpg

Well, unfortunately that is a single phase motor, won't work with a VFD. Although Baldor is a very high quality motor, you would need to run pulleys with this one to get more than one speed.

Like Anthony said, you have to go the step pulley route with a single phase motor. OR, sell that motor and get a 3-phase motor and VFD.

how much do you think i could get off the motor? I know baldor is a pretty good brand if im not mistaken. Motor is in good condition runs fine. Ill probably end up keeping it and using step pulleys however

Price really depends. Looks like it's in pretty good shape, so you might see what equivalents are going for on eBay and see what you can get for it. You can get an equivalent 3 phase motor for pretty cheap if you shop around. Iron Horse motors are like $150 brand new as well, which you may be able to get for that motor, if not a little more. You'd just need to find an appropriate VFD to run the 3 phase. The chinese VFDs get the job done for about $100 to $150 or so, but the best would be a kbac drive which will likely cost at least twice that.
Again, if you shop around, you MIGHT find cheaper through a used or surplus dealer.
I'd recommend a 56C framed motor if you can find it, as most drive wheels come in a 5/8" bore.

I don't know if any of the pros would recommend it but I would probably keep it and make it a buffer. Mine is so fast I wish it only went 1750...a big buffing wheel with that hp would really let you lean into it....But like I say...mine is an unqualified opinion on this.

I know a lot of guys use them, I did when I started out, but the last thing I need in my shop is a buffer! Haven't used one in years.
But, that motor would make a great disc grinder. I use my disc grinder every day.
You can find a good disc from a number of manufacturers. Baumont makes a good one, you can find a pretty nice disc and table from tru-grit.

That being said, why not use it on the grinder? I ground tons of blades with less.

I know a lot of guys use them, I did when I started out, but the last thing I need in my shop is a buffer! Haven't used one in years.
But, that motor would make a great disc grinder. I use my disc grinder every day.
You can find a good disc from a number of manufacturers. Baumont makes a good one, you can find a pretty nice disc and table from tru-grit.

That being said, why not use it on the grinder? I ground tons of blades with less.

Personally, I'd want a VFD/variable speed motor on a disc grinder too. For wood working it wouldn't be as necessary, but for knife making, it's nice to slow things down, especially on the higher grits.

Back