My First Two Blades Kinda Good Blades

Entropy762

Hello. I've lurked here for a long time. These two are O1. Heated to nonmagnetic then quenched in warm canola oil. Tempered at 450. I still need practice on grinding even bevels and kydex work. Also practice in handle shaping. Any critiques or suggestions are welcome.

Jake

Clearwater Knives 002.jpgknife2 005.jpg

Thanks DeMo. I do have a couple of file guides. I use them to establish the plunge line. I'm just struggling with how high the bevels go on each side if the blade. I do need more practice.
Thanks again.

Jake

Jake

Now I understand what you mean from your original post.

Everybody grinds differently. Probably has something to do with our equipment, probably has something on how we learned to grind, what makes each maker feel comfortable, and a large variety of other reasons. I could tell you how I do it, and it would not help you at all. Some makers grind edge up, some edge down, some use jigs, some don't use jigs, etc. etc. etc.

Irrespective of all that - You Tube has a bunch of stuff on how to grind knives. Here is one example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67mlIJKna7w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can find dozens and dozens of more helpful videos. Take a look, find what you like. More importantly, find what works for you. And practice, practice, practice. You will get better and better with every knife that you make. A

It just takes a bit of work, a good plan, and some practice time.

Keep grinding.

DeMo

Those look really good for first knives. It does get easier as you go. Just be patient and try to improve each one.

Thanks guys. I need to get some more O1. I'm really digging the second one I made. My Dad used to make knives so I know what to look for in a good blade. I just need to get there.

Jake

Those are nice. Jake, Scott livesey shared an O1 recipe that worked real well for me.(he uses a lot of O1) One thing his research revealed was that O1 is tougher at harder RC...I think he said under 61rc it loses toughness and does not regain it till about 55RC. He does two hour long tempers the first at 300 then dunk in cold water and scrub... and the second at 375. (im going from memory here...double check it)

Anyway...your 450 might be on the high side to get the best results from O1.

Back