Show me your Puukkas

wmhammond

Good Sunday morning and may God bless you all.

Just thinking about Puukkos this morning - I don't know why. Puukkos are some of the most highly finished knives that I see today. Even the ones that are not "Show Knives" are more elaborate than other types of knives. The other thing is nobody makes them. I never see one on this site and I did a search here and got only one response. So I got to thinking about why that would be and I came up with a few things: First, I think most of us think of ourselves as "Bladesmiths" and Puukkos are very little to do with the blade and a lot to do with the handle. Second, Puukkos aren't very masculine and most of us think of ourselves as masculine. Third, Out-Of-Sight, Out- Of-Mind. Nobody makes them so nobody makes them. Fourth, the sheath is quite an important part of a finished Puukko and many of us find sheath making the least desirable part of our craft. There are probably many more reasons why we don't make them. Tell me why you have never made one.

As for me - I'm starting one today and I'll post it here when it's finished. How about you make one and post it here as well. Thanks all,

Wallace

Last edited:
Thank you sir. Blessings to you as well and may we bless Him. I'm new and haven't made a Puukko yet. Watching and learning.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well, I admit I'm a big fan of puukko knives. And you are right, they are not posted here much at all. I've been lucky enough to have Kay Vicstrom hold classes in my area, and I took at total of 3 from him. Ya, I'm a slow learner. I've currently got 5 on my bench that will go to the Badger knife show in March. Maybe more if I can find time. The sheath is such a big part of the package, and does require some "learning" to do them correctly. There are several styles, and I'd like to experiment with more of them. The toughest part if finding the half-tanned leather for them. I ordered it from Brisa in Finland last time I needed some.
I hope to have these finished up by next weekend if I don't get a curve ball thrown at me. I'll post pictures of them when they are done.
If you haven't visited the British Blades website, go there and look. Lots of good ideas there.

Back