Front sheild for a Little Giant

springer82

I have a 25# Little Giant power hammer. I have seen some with a shield in front of the spring. I know how dangerous that spring is. I would like to make a shield for protection. I have done Googles and looked on several knife forums for plans with no luck. I would feel bad if I drilled and tapped into the frame and did not need too. Any help with a link or a few photos would be great. Thanks in advance for any help!

Depending on whether it's and "old style" (the one with the wrap around hammer guide), or the "new style" (the one with the hammer sliding in dovetails).... it can be very easy, or a bit more difficult. For a "new style" hammer, all you need is a couple pieces of 1/2" x 1" barstock, and some 3/8" all thread. You cut the bars to the length you need, then using the all thread, you simply "clamp" the barstock above/below the casting on the frame the the dovetails bolt to. On the one I used to have, I forged 3/8" round into "L" hooks that were welded to the shield in 4 places, and those slipped into 3/8" holes on the barstock mounted to the hammer frame. If your hammer is the "old style" then I would drill/tap the guide itself and using some pieces of steel as stand-offs, bolt the guard directly to the front of the guide.

DO NOT use expanded metal for the shield! (make it a solid piece of at least 3/16" sheet metal). I know you will see pictures of guards that use expanded metal, but you might as well not have one at all if you use expanded metal. When the spring on a Little Giant breaks, it's usually in three pieces. One bigger piece shoots left, another big piece shoots right, and a "shard" about an inch long or so shoots straight back at the operator. If you use expanded metal, that shard will usually go right through the openings in the mesh of expanded metal. (I say that from personal experience, and I have the scar to prove it!)

Last edited:
I have a new style 25 lb. Little Giant and I'd be glad to snap some pictures of how the guard is mounted on it if you would like me to. I did not put it on, as it was already installed when I got it. It does however have the expanded mesh on it, which I will change before using it again. Thanks Ed for pointing that out.

Ed my 25#er was made in 1945. It slides up and down on a dove tail. Thanks for the info.

Jim a few photos would be great when you have the time.

With that model, you can just "clamp" the brackets above and below on the dovetail casting of the frame...just make sure you have it back far enough to no interfere with the machine's motion. Use the all thread to "clamp" the bars in place, make some "L" hooks for the corners of the shield, drill holes in the brackets to match, and the cover can be slipped on/off for oiling/maintenance.

Jim a few photos would be great when you have the time.[/QUOTE]

I'll snap a few pictures for you this week and post them here.

Model #

Ed is this what you are asking about?
lol,,, well ya cant win them all.

Attachments

• 25#er.jpg
    25#er.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 16
Now that I think about it are you involved with the guild of metalsmiths? Did I come over to your place and help you pick 1" travel indicators for your table top mill??

If you are the person I remember, I think you did. But I was living in St Paul at the time, south of the 3M complex. I'm an hour northwest of the TC now in western WI.

Back